This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Help with isolating board problem?

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is a laptop machine - Asus A2500H that has a repeating key. It continuously types 8's and it makes it nearly useless. It will boot up fine, can surf fine, but you can not type. Cannot even check email, for when you click on a box to fill info, on come the 8's! In an effort to figure out the problem, I removed the keyboard thinking it was a stuck key. Nope, still all 8's. I bought a wireless keyboard, and it works, but only between the dang 8's. I would like to be able to get the task manager to pop up, but I cannot make the machine recognize cont alt del to bring it up. I doubt there will be an answer forthcoming, but what I would like to determine is whether the problem is that of software or hardware failure. It is a very good machine, Pentium 4, XP, and very fast, so I am trying to determine if it is feasible to fix. It is over 2 yrs old and I do not want to sink a bundle into it. I do get some sort of error each time XP starts, but it is only on the screen for a few moments and I cannot seem to write it all down. Something about one of your discs has inconsistencies. Still, I don't know how to run a chkdsk if I cant even type in the command! The machine is 100% legit, have the original windows key, etc, but no discs. I would rather not reinstall windows except as last resort. I do have loads of files I need to save, but even this is hard. I finally started D/L them through FTP which is clickable, and then upload on this machine. By mouse clicks, is there any way you experts know of that can reveal the problem? Many thanks.
You might be able to deal with the "disk inconsistency" via running chkdsk /r from Recovery Console.

I don't know if you can get into Recovery Console in that machine without an installation CD.
Fortunately, you can use "any" retail or oem XP install disk to get into Recovery Console, so borrow one.

Check Disk in XP

Set the order to boot from the CD Rom 1st and the Hard drive 2nd.

Put your Windows CD in the tray, then "Exit with Saving" the settings (far right tab)

1. Boot with your windows CD
It will take some time as the CD loads various files

2. Type R to Enter the Recovery Console
3. Enter the Administrator password (if there is one)
4. Type: chkdsk c: /r and press Enter << 5. Once completed (if no errors of unrecovery) Type: chkdsk c: /p and press Enter
6. Type: fixboot c: and press Enter
You’ll get a script asking if you are sure you wish to write a new boot sector to C:, Type y (for yes)
You’ll get a script stating that a new boot sector has been written.

7. At the prompt, type (exit) to Boot Normally


The above "chkdsk /r" procedure may correct whatever disk errors that might exist.

Next: (if you are able)
Boot Normally
Select -Start - Run
Then type in: sfc /scannow <— notice the space between "c" and "/"
If your "keyboard" problem frustrates entering SFC, then go on to Repair Installation.

Next:
consider Repair installation
Reboot and immediately start tapping F8 as you would to reach the Boot Menu to get to SAFE Mode
Is there a "Recovery Console" option in that Boot Menu?

If not, and you have been able to borrow an oem or retail XP installation CD (must be same as your machine's, either Home or Pro) Then use that borrowed CD to perform a Repair Installation.

Here's a decent review of Repair Installation:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

As a longer term resource Option…… Contact the machine's Manufacturer and request a CD copy of the appropriate XP installation CD. Most companies (Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, etc) will ship an installation CD to the legitimate first owner of a PC, even after warranty has expired, for a "modest fee". I've seen Dell send one for as little as $10 and other companies charge about $30.

Of course, all of the recommendations that I've posted rely on the problem being either related to Hard Disk error, or Operating System corruption.

If it's "hardware" then the best place to start would be a thorough cleaning of the underside of the keyboard.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards
TY for the reply and great suggestions. The problem here is that I cannot type anything on that machine. No "R" for recovery console, no passwords, no chkdsk, etc. Mouse is fine, but any space to be populated will fill with 8's.
I get the message. the darn 8888888888888 repeats.

You "might" gain some advantage by reducing the "Delay repeat" and "Repeat Rate" in:
Control Panel - Keyboard

It's also "possible" that you will not have the "repeat" problem when running chkdsk /r or Repair Installation, since you would be running from Recovery Console which is a pre-Windows environment.

You've purchased a "wireless keyboard" in hopes that would provide a detour to fix your problem.
The wireless keyboard is probably connected via USB IR sensor?
But people report "more" of the repeating key type problems with wireless and USB keyboard imput than the old PS/2 variety.

Consider getting a cheap PS/2 keyboard. I mean "really cheap" – like pick one up at a garage sale or just borrow an old PS/2 keyboard from a friend who has an old computer they no longer use.

If that temporarily reduces/resolves your problem, then carry through with the chkdsk /r and Repair Installation. (You might even be able to run System File Checker if the PS/2 keyboard blocks the repeating)

There are a few reports of an old "prank virus" causing apparent keyboard sticking and repeating.
Update and run your Anti-Virus or go online to run:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
and
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm

Best Regards

Best Regards
Exactly. You are right, when I purchased the wireless it was only to isolate and resolve the problem, not to use as alternate. I had already slowed the keystrokes per your suggestion. I am a novice, but I do have another computer with a regular wired keyboard, is this PS2? If so, the connection does not seem to fit. I do not think it is a virus from the symptons. When the problem was first noticed I was in word, and once in a while it would start to type random keys. A tap on the keyboard would stop it. Then, over the course of a few weeks it got to this point. I got frustrated enough to go out and buy a new laptop. Maybe that was not such a bad idea. With respect to virus programs…these generally require you to sign up and that will not be possible. I wonder if I d/l one on this machine….can I copy to a CD and install in the other? I kind of doubt it, I suspect they are protected so this cannot be done. I wish there was some way to bring up task manager. If I could, I could disable one by one the processes and at least isolate the problem. Taking this to a repair shop at this point would be expensive I believe. They would likely start by replacing a not needed keyboard and they buy and replace until the problem was solved. TY again for the effort.
I haven't looked at many laptops recently, but my experience is that they generally have a PS/2 socket to accomodate external mouse or keyboard. The PS/2 plug is uni-directional (plugs in from only one allignment), but I imagine you've inspected the sockets and plug carefully already.

If sending the machine to a repair shop is not cost-effective, then take the opportunity to roll up your sleeves for a do-it-yourself adventure.

Use your other machine to browser the manufacturer's site for information and support. Most laptop makers will offer an "exploded view" of their machine………. a diagram that shows how the parts are assembled/dis-assembled.

There are several online articles about cleaning laptop keyboards to give you some guidance.
here's one: http://www.computing.net/howto/simple/keyboard/

The way you write about AntiVirus software leads me to question whether you actually have been running without one? Yikes! Don't do that!

And yes, AntiVirus software needs to be "installed" and can't be copy/pasted from another machine or CD.

Best Regards

Edit: Most PS/2 keyboard in use today have a round connector of about 3/8inche diameter. That size is common to all PS/2 sockets. There are "much older" PS/2 compatible keyboard that have a larger (fatter) plug of about 1/2inch. There are "adapters" available to mate up these connectors, but the cost may be as much as getting a full cheap keyboard. Don't consider using a PS/2 - USB adapter, since that would get you back to the more likely USB problem.
Ok dutch, you are right again. The keyboard I was attempting to fit was from Windows 95, so probably the old style. The laptop does have a round plug in the back of smaller diameter. Guess I will venture out and buy another keyboard or adapter. The problem does not reside with the keyboard. As I mentioned, I have completely removed the keyboard and still get 8's. I tried to run defragment without success. Get a pop up it cannot be run until disk is scanned and corrected. Hopefully I will get to Target or Walmart today and buy a keyboard to try. Just wanted to thank you for you efforts.
I did get the task manager to come up and started deactivating one by one the processes to see if any help isolate the problem. When I deactivate system (not system exe) it stopped the repeating for a moment and let me type. Then it restarted but with 9's. The system process never comes from the task manager list, it stays, but at least momentarily it is deactivated and solves the problem. I did get a pop up of the volume control, which brought back memories. This is how this problem started, the volume control would pop up on the screen and keep turning itself to max. Is this process needed? The computer seemed to work fine without it. If it is not needed, is there a way to deactivate from the registry? If it is needed, can I DL a new one (since I don't have a windows XP Pro disk) and will installing the new file supersede the old one? Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Is this process needed?


Which process…… specifically?

You won't need to use a Registry edit.
You can "disable" nearly everything in your MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)
Keep your AntiVirus and Firewall. Everything else is User Choice.

If you disable something and later find that you want it running active, you can go back and "enable"it, or just run it manually via its .exe icon.

If you can't get to MSCONFIG in Normal Mode, try it from SAFE Mode.

Best Regards
ok, I am actually typing on the old ASUS this reply. I seem to be able to temporarily use the wireless keyboard. The repeat function goes on at random, and I discovered it is not just the keyboard (I don' t think). I had volume controls, windows, file, system panels, etc popping up at once. A couple of raps on the laptop keyboard got me to this point. No more 8's, now I have 3's which is a nice change It is very difficult to say if anyof the processes are responsible for the error. I did deactivate a couple from the startup list (from Mike Lin). I tried to run sfc /scannow with no success. Need disk. I tried to boot into safe, no go. This must need to be done with the F8 on the laptop keyboard, it will not let me in on the wireless. It seems I cannot run a scandisk without the CD. Again defrag will not proceed, saying disk needs to be corrected first. Also, when booting windows, I still get that consistency disk error, which says one or more disks need to be checked for consistency. I think I will need to wait until I have a copy of XP pro to try and remedy this. However, being able to at least use this machine is a plus.
To get us a little more information, please run the PCPitstop Full Test over at PCPitstop.com You'll have to use the keyboard a little, to enter your registration, but beyond that, it's all mouse work. Post your TechExpress Link back into this Thread. Next: Please go over to Malware Removal and post a HJT Log. Ultimately, you are right that you'll need an XP installation CD to procede with the hard disk check and repair. When you get one (borrowed is ok), I'll walk you through the procedure for saving the essential portion to your hard drive and editing the registry to direct SFC to use the hard drive instead of calling for the CD. Best Regards
In MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab), please "disable" the following: Office XP speech Debugger Logitech iTouch Windows Media Player Notepad Microsoft Corporation Mozilla Firefox Microsoft Word Internet Explorer EDIT: also disable, the following as above via MSCONFIG StartUp (tab): MSPaint.exe Hcontrol.exe NeroCheck.exe You will still be able to use these utilities and applications, but they consume a ton of resources and don't need to be running all the time from Start (every time you turn on your machine running constantly) You presently have a CPU Load 17% right from the minute that you turn on your machine. That CPU Load should be 0%. The load is caused by applications and utilities running from StartUp - and if infected, by Malware running in the background. (I do not presently have any suspicion that you have Malware) Question: Is there a reason why this Operating System has not been fully updated to SP2 and all the critical updates and patches?
Hey bennybbb, Please notice that I added some items to the list of applications and processes that can be disabled via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) Also, I highly recommend that you install Spybot S & D, update and run a scan, fixing all that it detects in RED. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI