Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93090 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Numerous Keyboard Keys Not Working - Desktop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 snowbug

snowbug

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

Hello,

Quite a few keys on my wired Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard are no longer working. I tried several "fixes" I found online which included holding down the unresponsive keys as well as various other keys without success in fixing it. I also tried plugging it into another port, but that didn't help either. Also looked up info on drivers, but from what I can understand from what I've read it being a "plug and play" means drivers load automatically? So I left that alone not knowing for sure what to do with that. Lastly I watched some videos with instructions on dissembling and cleaning, then did that as well, but the problem persisted.

So I dug out my husband's old Saitek Eclipse which was working fine when he packed it away and switched to using a laptop. However, when I hooked it up I found several keys would not work on it either, including some letter keys. Am back to using mine again so I can at least type, but at this point I don't know if I should buy a new keyboard or if I'm having an issue with my desktop. Please help!

Dell XPS 8500

Windows 7

Knowledge Level: Novice

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

Am I understanding correctly that they keys that are not working are not letter keys?  What keys are they?  Function keys?  Media keys?

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#3 snowbug

snowbug

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Yes aside from the five and six (not the number pad) it's function keys that aren't working, not the letter keys. However, on the second keyboard it was also the upper number one key as well as the q,a and s. However, I didn't check out all of the keys on the second keyboard as I admit that I was quite irritated at that point and quickly switched back to the first keyboard.

Update: Found an old Dell keyboard in the garage this morning and all keys are working fine on it. So I'm assuming my computer is okay and both the Saitek keyboards have just gone bad?

Edited by snowbug, 24 July 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

If the dell keyboard is working OK on your computer ( and continues to do so then the finger of suspicion is pointing towards the other keyboards being faulty...

You could try inverting the faulty keyboards (whilst disconnected) and give them a good shake ( just in case any detritus has become lodged) and a good tap all overwith the palm of your hand my also help..... if no go then they are candidates for recycling.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 snowbug

snowbug

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

Thanks paws, I will do that and give them each another try. :thumbup:

#6 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:47 AM

So I dug out my husband's old Saitek Eclipse which was working fine when he packed it away

Update: Found an old Dell keyboard in the garage this morning and all keys are working fine on it. So I'm assuming my computer is okay and both the Saitek keyboards have just gone bad?

to be honest sounds like a software problem to me, maybe a corrupt driver.

also seeing how they are both saitek i'd think there was an incompatibility with the driver installed for the first saitek keyboard and the 2nd eclipse keyboard you tried.

personally i'd think before junking them, i'd go to the saitek site and download the correct drivers for both keyboards and install them when using the correct keyboard for the driver.

usually when function keys etc don't work it is because the correct software isn't installed or has got corrupted more than a physical hardware problem in my experience.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 25 July 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#7 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

Terry,

Do you know of any drivers for a Saitek keyboard?  I didn't think they had any.

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#8 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

had a look for some and couldn't find any so maybe they don't have dedicated saitek drivers and just use windows ones, still think it's a software problem and not a hardware one though but as you know i'm often wrong.  :rofl: 

first place i'd start is to connect the keyboard and then go into device manager and uninstall it and then scan for hardware changes and see if things now work.

found this

Go to Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services. Find "Human Interface Device Access" and turn it to "Automatic". Then right click on it and press start!

http://www.sevenforu...me-control.html

where someone had problems with their eclipse volume keys not working in win 7 when they did in vista so maybe a fix for other function keys too.

#9 snowbug

snowbug

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

My apologies for not responding sooner. Tapping didn't help on either of the keyboards, but I will try terry1966's suggestions on them both when I get back in this evening. So appreciate everyone's help. :)

#10 snowbug

snowbug

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

No luck. Tried both fixes on both keyboards and am still having the same issues. I do think I am going to hang onto them for a bit longer though and keep trying to figure out a fix. I didn't realize how nice and heavy duty they felt until I went back to the Dell one which came with my PC. Thanks so much for trying to help me, again it is very much appreciated. Wishing you all a great evening!

#11 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

if you can try them on a different pc, if they work fine on that one then you'll know for sure there is nothing physically wrong with them and there must be some other reason for why they don't fully work on your pc.

#12 snowbug

snowbug

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

Still working on getting the keyboards tested on another pc. My nephew took them with him weekend before last, but when I spoke with him today he said he hasn't had time yet. I feel bad leaving this thread going when it's taking so long and I don't know when I will have the results from him, so I won't be offended if you feel it should be closed. Thanks everyone :)

#13 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

We don't close threads in this forum so no worries. :)

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014