A friend of mine was totally irresponsible with his PC and as a result his computer got totally screwed up. It was running Windows 2000 which didn't help much either!
Anyway, it now now on Windows XP and everything is fine apart from the sound, I cannot get the sound to work no matter what drivers I try to use.
The board is a Gigabyte 7NF-RZ board with an integrated sound card. I have been to the Gigabyte website and downloaded the one it says should work but nothing happens. The realtek AC97 thing installs, it prompts for a restart but once restarted the sound is still not present. At the moment in the Device Manager there are two items which are unidentified; "Multimedia Audio Controller" and "PCI Input Device". I have installed everything the site says I need but this does not work, can ANYONE help? I would be very grateful! I have tried the Support forums at Gigabyte to no avail.
I can only go based on my experiences, but have you tried this:
Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices,
Change the sound to high. Click advances, make sure the sound is at its highest,
click speaker volume, make sure that is on high too.
Now, go onto the 'Audio' tab at the top. Try changing the 'default device'.
Hopefully after changing the 'default device' until you hear sound then the problem is solved.
If not, i'm not sure, because the drivers haven't worked. If the PC has got a sound card in it, have you put the wire coming off it into the right place?
My sound card has a wire coming off it and it goes in a tiny slot next to the cd-drive.
Hope this helps.
I wish it had helped but sadly not!
When I go into "Sounds and Audio" in Control Panel I am told that there is no device installed, despite the fact that I installed the Realtek drivers several times.
this leads me to think that maybe it's not the right drivers, regardless of what Gigabyte says; does anyone know of a way of indentifying what hardware is in a PC? Is there any program I could use?