Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SonFlower2002

SonFlower2002

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

I hope someone can help me. I can connect to the internet and download and use AIM and Email but almost always I lose connection or can't get a connection to the web using Internet Explorer and Firefox. Can someone please help me fix this problem. Thanks so much in advance. btw I'm using a Toshiba laptop and I'm using a wireless connection with a router. I have a cable connection. Use Windows XP profesional SP2. If you need any other info just let me know. also I have scanned for spyware and have McAfee for my antivirus.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

In IE - Tools - Internet Options - Connections(tab) Be sure you have "never dial a connection" checkmarked. In LAN either have no boxes checked, or possibly "automatically detect settings" The above presumes that you do not use "proxy settings". What happens if you drag your laptop over to your router and connect with a CAT5 ethernet cable? What does your Control Panel - Network Connections tell you in its display? ____________ Has this problem only recently cropped up. That is, was your connection good, and then suddenly started being problematic? What might you have done/changed at the time just before the problem cropped up? Best Regards

Edited by dough, 14 October 2006 - 08:47 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 SonFlower2002

SonFlower2002

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

I have never dial a connection and it's checked where it says auto detect settings but I tried to take it out to see if that worked but it didn't so I added it back. I don't know what you mean by connect with a CAT5 ethernet cable so I don't think I have tried that. I did take the computer into the room with the router and that didn't help. It helps to unplug the router and plug it back in but then in a few seconds or minuntes the connection to the web is gone. Email and other web programswork fine it's just the browsers that don't work. The control panel network connection shows connections with 3 on the bottom and one on the top but all 4 have a lock on the top of them. I tried to tell it to repair but that doesn't help. I hope someone here can help me. Thanks so much for trying.