This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Files and Objects

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Over time I've run various antivirus and antispyware scans and generally they will show me a progression of the number of either files or objects being scanned. McAfee and PC-cillin AV scans will typically show about 23,000 FILES have been scanned; Ad-Aware and ewido antispyware, as well as Panda Online AV, list 100,000+ OBJECTS being scanned. When I had it, Microsoft Antispyware would show anywhere from approx. 10,000-13,000 (I forget if it was files or objects) - interestingly, the greater number would be listed as a result of the Quick scan, while the Full scan listed the smaller number. Anyway, I was hoping someone could tell me the difference between Files and Objects. My inclination, since they are such a greater number, is to assume that Objects are the parts making up the whole of a File. I'd be disappointed to find that the two are synonymous, since that would mean some scans are checking a vastly fewer files/objects than others. Anyone with any relevant info?
FYI…

- http://www.thefreedictionary.com/file
"…3. Computer Science - A collection of related data or program records stored as a unit with a single name."

- http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Object
"…6. Computer Science - A discrete item that can be selected and maneuvered, such as an onscreen graphic. In object-oriented programming, objects include data and the procedures necessary to operate on that data."


Still confused? Join the club. Depending on -who- it is that uses each of those terms, software spacemen define it as they wish - "There are no absolutes". Or, so -they- say…

And welcome to the wonderful world of IT.

:huh: