Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Images not displayed in IE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kat9119

Kat9119

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:01 AM

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:29:16 PM, on 9/20/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

I had a virus, and I got help with that in this thread: http://forums.tomcoy...w...=69104&st=0

When I first got the virus, I did not use IE because the homepage was hijacked basically, and everytime I used IE I would get major popups. Instead I used the browswer within AOL. However, at one point when I did try to use IE I noticed a lot of the images would not appear. During the process of removing the virus I noticed they were working fine. But then at the end of the process I noticed they were not working again.

On top of the issue with the IE broswer not displaying images, I also seem to be having either a java error or activex error. As an AOL member, I can listen to upcoming CD releases, it gives me an error to turn on ActiveX, also some games at www.games.com do not load...all of these things did work before I had the virus, and during getting help to remove the virus.

I did play around with the activeX setting to turn them on, but that hasn't helped for listening to the music, or stopped popups from appearing and telling me to run the activeX click ok.

The AOL broswer does display images fine. No problems with that, but I miss my IE and want it back to normal.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Kat

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

Hi Kat,

This could be as simple as an operating system file going missing or getting corrupted by the virus you've removed, or by some step in the recovery process.

A first good step would be to use you Windows File Protection System File Checker:
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow
Have your XP installation Disk handy for SFC to copy any needed original files.

Here's the Microsoft article on repairing IE:
http://support.micro...spx?kbid=318378

Take it one step at a time. You may not have to do a full repair install, but the information is there if you need it.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Kat9119

Kat9119

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:16 AM

Have your XP installation Disk handy for SFC to copy any needed original files.

my computer didn't come with an XP installation disk....is there something else I could try?

I'm also on dial up, so redownloading SP 2 really isn't an option...

Edited by Kat9119, 20 September 2006 - 11:20 AM.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

Whoever came up with the bright idea to ship new computers with no XP installation disk will definitely not be on my Christmas list this year!

You can receive an XP SP2 disk from Microsoft for a small fee.
It takes about one week to deliver, even though they say to allow 4 to 6 weeks.
You'll be able to use that SP2 disk with the System File Checker.
http://www.microsoft...p2/default.mspx
The "order form" is in the little blue box at the lower right hand portion of the page.

About "images not displaying in IE"...... I take it that the "images" you are referring to are items that you placed on your own wbsite? and that you are not simply referring to "banner ads and such" that may be being blocked by the protective software that you've recently installed?

Get the XP SP2 CD and run SFC.
TomCoyote will still be here in a few weeks to continue assisting you.
One step at a time, and patience, will help.
Sorry about your inconvenience.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,686 posts
  • Interests:Boo!....
  • MVP

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:08 PM

Read over this Microsoft link for repairs in IE.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP

Edited by Juliet, 20 September 2006 - 08:38 PM.

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, WI-MVP 2016-17
Antivirus Scanners Online Scanners Firewalls Slow Computer??