This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

5 Minute start-up

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

SpeedStep has two settings. Mine is set to Enabled. I did do the chkdsk when you told me to. I just realized that I didn't mention it at the time. As always, Thanks…
Hi Cranehouse, I've been studying over at Dell and via Google to "discover" what settings are important to check on your Dell Laptop to get it to run at full speed. So far, no brilliant discoveries. Will you please check again in your Power Settings/ Display Settings - ScreenSaver(tab) - Power Settings Please describe each of the settings that is currently marked. Please described the other "options' that are available. For instance: Your machine is probably running as "Laptop" or "Laptop with Battery Power" and may have "options" to run as "DeskTop", "Server" or other settings. Please describe exactly what is on that Panel, what is checkmarked and what options may be available. And yes, go ahead and test out the various options on your own initiative if you would like to. Then, if no improvement, please return the Power Settings to exactly the same settings as currently set. I am also inquiring with some experts for additional information and will post those recommendations. note: Unless there is "something broken" in your motherboard or CPU, then I/we are simply "overlooking" a setting that will unleash the full potential of your machine. I have no idea how that setting would have gotten changed. If your machine was previously running much faster, with brisk boot-up, etc. and then slowed down, can you think of any applications or programs/software that you may have installed just prior to the change. Best Regards
O.k. I took a few screenshots so you can see what I see: These are my current settings: 📎Power.jpg The drop downs offer extended time selections. These are the other available settings: 📎Power4.jpg Advanced Tab: 📎Power1.jpg Power Meter Tab: 📎Power2.jpg Hibernate Tab: 📎Power3.jpg The only other coincidental thing is the battery was getting smokin' hot and turned out to be one of the recalled batteries which has been replaced. I appreciate your diligence!
Hi Cranehouse,

Posting the screen-shots is excellent. Now I can "see" too. Thank you.

I haven't looked yet, and my phone is ringing off the wall, so I'll get to it in a few minutes.

In the meantime, I received a reply from a well respected Intel expert who wrote the following:

Control Panel> Power Options>Power Schemes. Try Home/Office first. If that doesn't get it, try "Always On".


Don't know if that will help, but suggest you take a look.
Then I'll review your screen-shots in a few minutes.

Be Right Back,
Doug

EDIT: Yes, after reviewing your screen-shots, I believe that your machine may be throttling down in power-saving mode due to the selection "Portable/Laptop". Please try the suggestions quoted above and let us know the result. (run a new Pit Test to verify your findings. Improved, I hope. Doug
Doug,

I would like to thank you for all of your time and effort in trying to resolve my problem.

I managed to get someone at Dell to connect to my machine. It turns out that the BIOS version on my Laptop was A14. I upgraded my BIOS to version A17.

If you take a look at the pitstop test after the upgrade, you will see that it is now at full speed:
TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=MG0PPWQ8R9JS9VSC

It now goes through start-up in slightly under 2 minutes.

I can't thank you enough.

Michael
Congrats to you, Cranehouse! What a sweet relief and accomplishment you must feel. You got your machine back! There are still some improvements you can make via the Pit Test. Turning off a few of the unnecessary StartUp items may still give you noticeable improvement. Be sure to walk through the "Receive Cache Size" adjustment to improve your already good Internet speed. Glad you've made such great progress. See ya around the Forums! Doug
Doug, I followed the steps for "Receive Cache Size" and found that the registry key that they want me to create already exists. It is currently marked as a hexidecimal with a 0 value. Is it O.K. to modify the existing key, or do I need a neew one?? Thanks…

With regard to these instructions:


QUOTE
To change your TCP Receive Window size:

Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .
Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .
Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive. To restore your old registry you simply import this file.
Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to go to the directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .
Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.
Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the key.
Change the Base Setting to Decimal.
Enter the value 64240 and click OK, then exit RegEdit.
For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open applications and reboot your system.


I've got a fellow over at TC whose Pit Test suggests making those changes.

He says that when he followed the instructions, he found that the Key TcpWindowSize already existed and that the DWord value was hexidecimal O.
He wonders if he can use the same key, but change to Decimal and 64240 as the value.

Sounds right to me, but I want to check with you since I don't really know.

Thanks,
Doug


Here's the reply to my inquiry.

Yes, that is correct. In addition, if he is running XP and is not having trouble with his connection or speed, it is perfectly OK to ignore the Pit Test's recommendation. XP flunctuates the setting by default to give the best recieve window that it sees fit.

In any event, make sure that the key is Exported (backed up) before making any changes. OK?


The last sentence of that reply refers to the good practice of backing up the Registry before making any changes, thereby creating a fallback plan in the event that any changes cause unwanted result.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI