This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Baseline

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there. My computer started running VERY slowly all of a sudden two days ago. I turned the computer off on Friday, and when I turned it on yesterday it was running slow (like, it takes 5 minutes to upload a website). Everything was fine on Friday.

I have updated and run the following Sypware programs: Ad-Aware SE Professional, Spybot, CWShredder, and AVG Anti-Spyware. I've looked in my HijackThis log and don't see anything that pops out as an obvious problem. Anything you can do to help me would be greatly appreciated. Following is my HijackThis log:


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:51:15 PM, on 2/5/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netdde.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\clipsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bak\WLTRAY.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9d.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {01A88BB1-1174-41EC-ACCB-963509EAE56B} (SysProWmi Class) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofiler/SysPro.CAB
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = HiddenHills.org
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = HiddenHills.org
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = HiddenHills.org
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = HiddenHills.org
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: SecuROM User Access Service (V7) (UserAccess7) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

Thank you!

Shannon

P.S.

Everything running off my Exchange Server works fine: Outlook, AIM, home VPN. The problem only occurs when accessing the Internet.

Thanks again.

Shannon
_________________________________
Welcome to the Forums.

The fixes we will use are specific to your problems and should only be used for this issue on this machine.

Please only use this topic to reply to. Do not start another thread.
If any other issues arise let me know.
The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear. So lets do this to the end!

  • All hijackthis logs I ask for should be done in normal mode ( not safe mode)
  • These logs should be done last after you have followed my instructions in the previous post.


Please if you decide to seek help at another forum let us know. There is a shortage of helpers and tying 2 of us up is a waste of time.
If you have any questions about any advice given here please STOP and ask!

1. Download Combo fix from one of these locations.
* IMPORTANT !!! Place combofix.exe on your Desktop

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

2. Click start/run and copy and Paste this in exactly using the picture below for reference:

"%userprofile%\desktop\combofix.exe" /killall


[external image: Posted Image]

3. Combo will begin to run DO NOTING while this is happeneing.
  • It will kill a few processes and disconnect you from the internet.
  • If by chance it stops prematurly you can re-establish your internet connection by restarting your computer.
  • This needs to be done so the program can work most efficiently for you.
Do not attempt to use the internet or anything else while it's doing its job for you.

If when it's completed you can not get on the internet just reboot the computer

Post the log from comboFix for me located in
c:\comboFix.txt


_________________________
In your next reply I would like to see:
  • A new HJT log
  • The report from Combofix
  • You know this address ?
    HiddenHills.org
Hi there, and thank you for getting back to me. Two or three days after I posted my HijackThis log, Symantec alerted me to a trojan attack while I was using my computer. It was called Zonetec, I think (I'm using a different computer right now and don't have access to the Symantec files from the laptop I posted about). Following that notification, I tried running a full Symantec scan on my computer, but it wouldn't run. So I updated all of my spybot programs and ran LiveUpdate, then rebooted my computer into SafeMode. I then was able to run Symantec, and it found several instances of the Zonetec trojan infection. It said it cleaned them all. I also ran all of my spybot/adaware programs while in SafeMode. After I rebooted back into regular mode, everything was running fine. Until the next day, when I was alerted by Symantec that a "downloader" had infected my computer, and that Symantec was only able to partially restrict it. I rebooted into SafeMode again and ran Symantec, but it didn't find the rest of the downloaded trojan. I tried to download and run the Housecall online virus scanning program. And I tried to download and run the Kapersky online virus scanning program. I tried them both four or five times. In the case of Housecall, the program simply would not complete the download. In the case of Kapersky, it downloaded the program but could not complete the update of virus definition files and so it aborted. I tried for two days. In the meantime, I have had a very difficult time even getting on the internet with that machine, so I wasn't able to check my emails or the "whatthetech" forum between Friday at 5:00 p.m. and now. Then this morning I gave the machine to my computer vendor to fix. I'm sure I can get the machine back tomorrow (Sunday), but I only want to get it back if you think I should. I don't want to waste your time. And I don't want to waste my time. Please get back to me if you think I should get my machine back so you can help me fix it. Thank you very much for your time and attention. And I WILL be making a donation! You guys are great. Shannon
It's completely up to you how you have your machine fixed. If your vendor already has the machine you can let them fix it. I am more than willing to try and help you fix it if that's what you would like to do. In your reply you mentioned that everything in the HJT log looked OK. Well it does. But this looks like a vundo infection to me not because of what I saw but what I didn't see. Without other scans being done I can't tell you if theres more to your problems or not. Vundo doesn't normally interrupt internet connections but counts on it so you can send money to have it fixed. Which BTW you should never ever do. They don't fix it. . So there could be more than one infection or problem going on. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI