This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

fltmgr.sys error on BSOD

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello…I'm having a little difficulty using my floppy drive. I downloaded a program called ERUNT which lets me easily backup my entire Registry into a folder as well as onto a handy little USB flash drive. I wanted to do this because now I can turn off System Restore (I only have an 8 gig hard drive).

One of the ways to restore a corrupted registry using ERUNT is to boot into DOS and run the executable from there (you'd do it this way if you absolutely can't get your computer to boot into windows at all). Well, in as many words as possible, while trying to create a DOS boot disk, my computer shuts down with the BSOD and the error message is pointing towards a file called "fltmgr.sys". It's some sort of file manger program.

I have four copies of it on my computer…all are in the WINDOWS directory:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB914882\SP2QFE
C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB922582\SP2QFE

The two highlighted in orange text were installed this past Tuesday as one of Microsoft's monthly Windows Updates.

I don't know if this problem existed before the Updates as I hardly ever use my floppy disks anymore. Of the two fltmgr.sys files downloaded during the Updates, I tried taking the older of the two and re-named with an .old extension to see if that would clear it up, and it didn't.

I was recently having a problem with an old anti-virus program file, so I ditched that AV program and got a free one instead. I no longer get the BSOD because of that file because it's gone…I wonder if the problem has just shifted to this file instead? Do you think my computer is getting ready to pack it in? The computer is about 5 years old. Or has anyone ever heard of this before? Is it possible to just delete those last two Update files and have everything be ok, or what?

Ok…hope someone can help…otherwise I'll probably start having to look for another box. I think I'm going to try a Mac this time tho.
UPDATE

Well, it seems that renaming the file did solve the problem after all. I guess it took a couple of re-boots for it to kick in, but I was able to create my DOS boot disk without incident, and everything worked fine. I booted into DOS and was able to locate, and run, the ERUNT executable from the DOS prompt. If you ever want to back up your registry, I would highly recommend the ERUNT program ( www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt ). It's free, and it works very well. If you do decide to download the ERUNT file, it will also contain the NTREGOPT file as well, so you won't need to download them both.

I ran a memory test on the box (memtest86), and everything checked out ok; in addition to that, I also ran Knoppix from my CD-Rom and the floppy worked like a champ with Linux, as I was able to create a Knoppix Boot disk without incident. So, between those two successful activities, I concluded that my PC is still OK.

As an aside, if you'd like to meet a gentleman who isn't afraid to hit "Delete" when it comes to bloated WindowsXP files, may I suggest you visit http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229 . It's an interesting read, to say the least. He's trimmed his XP down to where he's running it with about 170 MEGS of files. It works fine for him too!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI