Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Losing internet connection

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn Ryan

Martyn Ryan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

The problem is really; I just lose my internet connection for random amounts of time (up to 15 minutes) and they seem to randomly happen... I could stay on the internet for an hour and it would be fine, or another time I would struggle keeping connection for over 5 minutes!! At first I thought it might have been a problem with my computer (3 computers hooked up to the wireless router and this computer is as close as the others; and they work fine.) I then posted a hijack this log in the malware forums; to no answer. So I ended up formatting my whole machine, and I still have the problem... The main reason I am posting is if somebody could suggest where the problem is, considering it randomly started (as in, nothing noticebly changed at all.) the wireless router is: apple airport extreme the moden is: zoom adsl X3 the adapter I recieve the wireless through is: 54Mbps Wireless-G PCI Adapter (which is plugged in correctly) Cheers for looking, any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 jeremy_smitty5

jeremy_smitty5

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

Do you happen to get the "Limited or No Connectivity Error Message" Jeremy

#3 Martyn Ryan

Martyn Ryan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

nope, I get no message what so ever.... I just am unable to access the internet when it happens

#4 jeremy_smitty5

jeremy_smitty5

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

Are you running Service Pack 2 on the problem omputer?

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:56 AM

Hi RockFall,

I am aware you stated that you "formatted my whole machine".
So that should be the answer. Or put another way, I shouldn't even be asking.

I just want to confirm that you did actually Re-Format your Hard Drive, prior to reinstalling the operating system, DirectX 9.0c, Chipset Drivers, and the additional drivers.

I'm asking, to "rule-out" that you may have done an "over the top" repair installation, which would have left any malware in place and still actively causing you problems now.

What is the "home page" that your IE goes to?
Do you recognize the page as one you intentionally selected.
If not, attempt to change the home page to something common, like www.abcnews.com, or Staples.com.
Do you get re-directs when you open IE?

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 Martyn Ryan

Martyn Ryan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:15 AM

The top lines of my hijackthis report: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 12:03:46, on 26/08/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Yes a full reformat, nothing at all on both my hard drives.... You are reffering to IE... but the problem affects my whole connection (besides I use Mozilla Firefox for web browsing) It is also the only problem that affects my PC.

#7 jeremy_smitty5

jeremy_smitty5

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

The reason that I was asking what Service Pack you was using is becuase, there is a bug in the system that cause you to lose connection. Most of the time you get the "Limited or No Connectivity" error message but sometimes you can still be effected and not get the error message. Microsoft has a patch to fix thei problem. Here is a link to the topic. It tells where to download the patch to fix it, how install the patch and also some other ideas if that does work.

http://www.pchell.co...nectivity.shtml

Let me know it this helps.
Jeremy

Edited by jeremy_smitty5, 26 August 2006 - 11:19 AM.

#8 Martyn Ryan

Martyn Ryan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

^ tried that, but to no avail... :( I also gotta say that I have started to encounter some weird problems (especially since there isn't much on the comp and it's been fully protected) Firstly mozilla firefox at time acts funny (I can look at anything on the page I'm on, but I can't go change the website through going back or changing the url etc... and when I try a small white box appears where I clicked) IE has started to crash when I use the dropdown arror on the url address bar And sometimes the taskbar loads slow... funny things because I've never experienced these before (even with the connection problem, until now) I don't think the SP2 fix caused them aswell!! EDIT: the firefox problem is just when I try and download with star downloader so no worries there... I am actually not bothered about the problems in this post... I just though it better to post them!

Edited by Rockfall, 26 August 2006 - 03:26 PM.

#9 jeremy_smitty5

jeremy_smitty5

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

What kind of wireless card are you using?

#10 Martyn Ryan

Martyn Ryan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:49 AM

my wireless card is: 54Mbps Wireless-G PCI Adapter

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 jeremy_smitty5

jeremy_smitty5

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

Check to make sure the wireless card is working. Try putting into another computer that you know works. Sometime you can find diagnostic software that will test hardware for you. Programs such as: PC Doctor CheckIt Diagnostic (comes with Norton System Works) I can just image that there is a few free good one out there. Do a search for one. Let me know how it turns out. Jeremy Let me know how it goes.

#12 Martyn Ryan

Martyn Ryan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

I have been struggling for time recently... but I have been able to swap the wireless cards between this PC and the other on the network (which unfortunately is rarely used) but I still continue to get the same problem with a different wireless card!!
I have downloaded a free diagnostic program called freshdiagnose, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious problem (it does't run a test per se, it just gives info on things...)

I also have reinstalled the wireless card software (which is Ralink), so I then went onto the ralink website for available driver updates: http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm
not sure which of the top 2 to download, or if I should download them!!

#13 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hi Rockfall,

You may have already covered these trouble-shooting steps provided by Microsoft, but if not here goes:
http://www.microsoft...oubleshoot.mspx
http://www.microsoft...n/wifitrbl.mspx

I usually find the glitch with those protocols and a few of their links.

Easiest for Wireless is to checkmark the box for "Let Windows Manage your Connection"

Best Regards

#14 Martyn Ryan

Martyn Ryan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

them links don't seem to help dough... I would also like to state, that with the majority of the times (not all) the signal moniter (which is a colour of the K: green for good, yellow for moderate, red for bad) drops down to red or sometimes puts a red cross (as in no connection) Recently after all the attempts to fix, the problem seems to worsen in evenings and get better through the day!!

#15 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

I'm sorry if you've covered this before, but do you still get good DSL connectivity with your other machine, even when you have low-and-no signal at the problem machine?