This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Laptop died.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was on my laptop this afternoon and everything was working fine, I shut down normally like always and turned off the surge protector, then headed out the door. I came back a few ours later, flipped the surge protector on and hit the power button, the power light turns on and the fans start spinning for about 2 seconds, then it makes a slight "Click" and cuts the power. I can push it as many times as I want and it always has the same result. I took the back off and as far as I can tell all the cooling fans are spinning. I can only see three of them. Oh its a IBUYPOWER< Model: Z81SP, Yes it's under warranty and yes I've called Tech support but they're not open on Weekends and I'm trying to see if this is something I'm going to have to send my laptop in to be repaired or if it's something simple that I can fix myself. If you have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated, seeing as this laptop is the only thing that keeps me sane around here. Thank you for your time.
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problem with your laptop powering down. Before you call the warranty support dept, it would be as well to check that the UPS is not causing a problem; try connecting the laptop directly to the mains (using of course the appropriate cable and voltage dropper if applicable) Next thing is to try holding down the "power on" switch for 12 seconds (do this twice in quick succession) Next try removing the battery and try to start, then replace the battery and try again. If you still have no joy then your best bet is to call the warranty support dept first thing tomorrow morning. Regards paws
Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been working a lot lately. I tried the thing that you have suggested more than once, but still no luck. I took my lap top apart and began unplugging and plugging back in any wires that I could get out. I've noticed that almost immediately after I push the power button the laptop makes a garbled (BEEP), as I was messing around with things I noticed that it didn't make that noise when I disconnected my DVD drive, I also noticed that when the DVD drive is connected it makes the garbled (BEEP) followed by sometime of clicking sound, but then it stops and a second later it turns off. I have unplugged the DvD drive and tried to start it that way but it does the same thing, just without the (beep) and clicking. I have read that the cable connecting the LCD screen coming unplugged could cause the exact same problem, but i have read that its normally unplugged from inside the monitor portion of the laptop, seeing as how I don't know how to open it and I don't want to void the warrenty I wont try to open that part. I have also unplugged the memory and the harddrive and plugged them back in but with no such luck. Thank you for such quick response and if you have any other ideas, let me know, I'm still trying to contact the Customer Service department, Thank you.
Hi, It's very important that you do not do anything that would void your warranty. You say: "I took my lap top apart and began unplugging and plugging…" My best advice to you is to immediately stop what you are doing and contact the warranty support dept as a matter of urgency. It's bad enough having the malfunction; I guess you do not want the warranty support people declining to assist you. I hope all goes well for you. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI