Hi, I see that this problem is more common in Windows XP. But anyways, here goes, hopefully someone can help me with this problem. I have Windows ME by the way.
Alright then, my internet connection (dial-up) stays active while after 8-9 minutes my Internet Explorer will no longer load webpages, "page cannot be displayed". Well I thought maybe it was just the browser itself. Needless to say, it wasn't. I cannot download anything at all, unless it only takes 8 minutes or less, and with dial-up that's an instant NO. When I do attempt to download anything at all, after that 8 minutes, a message pops up that says "internet explorer cannot download…from…the connection with server was reset".
I have no antivirus, no spyware, no adware.
Oh, this all started when I updated my MSN Messenger. Ha! I wish I never had gone for the new version. But another thing, when I did have MSN Messenger (I deleted it, I thought that was the problem) after the 8 minutes it would shut down also, yet when I run my Yahoo Messenger, after the 8 minutes, it stays running.
I think that's about all. Can anyone out there PLEASE solve this problem. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! On my knees!
Here's a long-shot.
Your connection may be timing out after no activity from your keyboard and/or no new access attempts, even though you may be passively involved in an ongoing download.
One way to send a "stay alive" message to keep your internet connection active is to set your Email Client, (for instance Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc.) to check for email every 5 minutes.
Let us know how you are progressing with this.
Best Regards
In the event that you have attempted to circumvent this problem by installing Internet Explorer version 6.0, There may still be problems with the MSHTML.DLL file. Follow these instructions from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318153
In the odd event that you actually have a MSHTL.dll in your System Folder, then I'd suggest that you RENAME it to MSHTL.old and download the correct MSHTML.DLL from this site: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mshtml
After following the Microsoft instructions regarding your Internet Explorer 5.5 or 6.0, I'd recommend that you allow further update to version to the most recent version available to you. Here: http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/updates/
Please keep us posted with your progress.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI