Deleted Member
Topic Starter
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:51:07 PM, on 8/11/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Dear Sir,
I had installed this version on C: Drive initially, I have four partitions, the xp installation converted the partition to ntfs. In due course the system started giving trouble, like crashing viruses and all, got corrupted. I was not able to format it, neither repair the installation. So Installed a fresh installtion on D: Drive. And deleted the earler windows files as many I could, later with smart buster. D: Installation was running fine, until a week back.
It started with POP up by AVG of a virus called Win32/pepatch, and connected relatives which kept on popping and even deleted them, quarantined, healed. Cleaned the system number of times by all the available, antispywares etc. But the problem persisted. Finaly I reached this forum and pasted the HTL log, the very next hour unfortunately, my internet connection failed. Instead of the usual ratio of 1:3 of send receive bytes the ratio turned inversely to 3:1. I had no aternative than, but to install a fresh copy on Drive E:
Now friends evan now the pop up has started, although it says you are deleting a system file and warns, I did not face any system problems in running except the pop ups.
My problem now is I have reached the third partition for the operating sustem. Yes again this copy is not genuine as per microsoft, and they dont permit me for the updates. I had turned it off(Windows Update) after trying once. I already have, spyboat, adaware,evido, and avg all well updated. Incidently I use GPRS with Blue tooth for internet. Kindly help me out for safegaurding this system, and keeping it clean.
One more request, I face one more problem at start up, I still have the windows version of D: in my startup page and I have to click for the identical Windows tittle for loading windows. I tried to delete it but now instead of two three tittles have crept up, one which is the lowest, 1) default, 2) above, windows xp, 3) windows xp again which I had deleted now from D:. Please help me with the command or text to write, copy, so that windows starts directly without asking me which version to use! The lower one which gets highlighted for 30 secs i.e default does not load windows but hangs out asking for hal.dll file.
My problem 1) Advise on keeping the system clean & safe, maintenance technique, 2) Help on resolving the start up issue. One more request, will I be able to use fire wall with my kind of internet acess, that is through blue tooth, please help.
Please advise me, and let me know if you wish to see the complete log of HTL log.
Thanking you,
Ashfaq Shaikh.