This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

PC Runs Very Slow

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello All:

I have been working on my Dad's PC and I have ran several programs to check for spyware/adware (spybot/spywareblaster/ad-aware, cwshredder, WIN Defender), I have ran disk cleanup, ran defrag, I have done the compress drive to save disc space, ran anti-virus and everything was cleared, but all his apps run sooooo slow from starting up the OS, to opening up any documents/programs, from surfing the IE and I am not sure if there is something else or if it is just that his processor is slow and/or if he does not have enough memory, but I would really appreciated if someone can give any suggestions; I also posted a Hijack This file in the Hijack forum… Thanks!
How much RAM does the machine have? I believe that you are using the Anti-Malware suite from Yahoo. But I also see a Symantec Updater. Do you have Symantec Ghost or some other Norton/Symantec utility installed on the machine? Symantec tends to be somewhat of a resource hog. If you don't have any Symantec utilities, you "might" experience a "little" better performance if you uninstall the Updater. You can certainly take a look in System Configuration Utility (Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - StartUp Tab to see what applications and files are running active that are either unnecessary or that you don't use at boot. You can always open such applications manually by clicking on their Icon, or re-activate them in StartUp if you decide you need it. How much Free Space do you have on your Hard Drive? How big is the Total Hard Drive? Do you have DMA selected as Run if available for your Hard Drive Primary IDE Controller? Best Regards
Yes I am using the anti-spy/virus software that comes with SBC DSL and my dad did have norton virus and I uninstalled that, but it left the Symantec Updater and when I tried uninstalling that, it said that their were other programs still using this, so I left it. I did not see of any other norton utilities and I tried searching for other Symantec programs, but nothing came up so I am not sure what programs are using this. Under MSCONFIG these are what is running; please let me know what to remove if any: ybwison ipclient ipmon32 motivesb dumprepo-u hpwuschD2 cavtray cavrid yop msascui jusched yahoom~1 adobe reader speed launcher How much Free Space do you have on your Hard Drive? 12.6 GB How big is the Total Hard Drive? 18.5 GB Do you have DMA selected as Run if available for your Hard Drive Primary IDE Controller? Not sure on how to find this…
Yeah, Norton/Symantec does that.

Do a Search in Windows Explorer for Files and Folders - Name (norton, symantec)
Type just the < norton, symantec > in the Files and Folders line

Let us know what items are identified.
You may still just have some "debris" from the Add/Remove
—-OR, you may have Norton Ghost, which is a very handy disk image backup utility.

Using Add/Remove to uninstall Norton Antivirus/ or the Symantec Suite often leaves "fragments" meaning it leaves orphan files in the original Norton and Symantec Folders in C:\Program Files.

After you determine what you still have on the machine, we may be able to get ride of those Norton/Symantec Folders that may still be in C:\Program Files also in C:\Program Files\Common
Then we may be able to Uninstall LiveUpdate, without Add/Remove complaining too much.
_____________________________________
As to the MSCONFIG StartUp list:
You can use the valuable resource at http://www.answersthatwork.com (click on Task List) to look up each item and determine for yourself whether to disable or not. You will find the items alphabetically. Click on the appropriate first-letter from the item-name, then scroll down the Task List until you come to your item. You'll probably learn alot about your files this way, and be able to make your own decision.

AnswersThatWork will tell you the same, but about all you need to make sure to leave Enabled is your AntiMalware Product.
_________________________________________
You have plenty of Free Space for most uses.

______________________________________
DMA is Direct Media Access and is an access accelerator function built into most modern Hard Drives and their IDE controllers Heck, your machine may even have UltraDMA. Just be sure that PIO (very slow access) is not selected.

Right-Click on My Computer - Select - Properties - Hardware - press - Device Manager
In Device Manager, scroll down to ATA/ATAPI Controllers and Double Click
Double-Click on Primary IDE Channel
Select - Advanced Settings (tab)
In "Transfer Mode" be sure that "DMA if available" is Selected. (it might also state Ultra DMA Mode 5) which is just fine.

Now About that RAM….
How much RAM does that Machine have?

Best Regards
Okay, I was just at my Dad's from 5:30 to 9:00 (that is how slow is PC is) and I did change the PIO to DMA (only one setting was like that); I ran the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) from majorgeeks and I think this deleted the Norton LiveUpdate Symantec because when I went to the add/remove, it was not there and when I did the search for (norton, symantec) only a cookie showed up.



My Dad's PC is a P4 1.60GHz w/ 128MB RAM & 18.5GB Total Disk w/ 12.5GB Free. I did not really have a chance to read through the file names at the "answersthatwork" website for the msconfig programs, but I did notice that since he is using SBC DSL, they suggest uninstalling the "Cmanager.exe" (Connection Manager) and set up the connection manually instead (any suggestions on how to do this)? I also ran the ewido and it found 148 files infected and I cleaned that up (that ended just at 9:00 and I went home); I will run all the adware/spyware in safe mode hopefully on Sat or Sun and repost the hijack/ewido file. I will also end the dumprepo as well and I appreciate all the help.



I have a question about Norton; I had this at one time on my PC and I ran the (norton, symantec) and it came back w/ a lot of folders, so I ran the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) and then searched the (norton, symantec) again and all the files still came up and I would like to know what folders I can delete; please see attachment of the print I made.
Sorry mstein66, the pict you attached doesn't display well enough for me to read the items. Can you give it another try? Are you using the PrintScreen key and then opening in Paint and then Save As? Good work so far. 128MB of RAM is going to feel like molasses in winter. XP all by itself prefers to use 384MB for itself, even before opening a browser or any application. What OS did the machine previously have on it? Is it possible to upgrade your amount of RAM? If not is it possible to change Operating Systems. I'd recommend Win 2000 would run "better", or Win98. Still that machine is going to be bogged down with so little RAM even with Win2000 or Win98. Glad that you are keeping us posted with your progress.
Yes I used PrintScreen key and then opening in Paint, but I had to reduce the size to be able to attach it. :angry: As for my Dad's PC, it came from Dell with XP Home and the memory, but I will open his case and see if there are two empty slots to add more memory and if so, I will recommend him buying 4 256MB to put in. I will check this weekend and let everyone know… I have a question - Am I able to delete everything in the temporary internet file located in the local settings of my folder under c:documents & settings?
Try hosting that .bmp at ImageShack so we can have a better look.
http://imageshack.us/

TigerDirect is currently running a special sale on memory….. PC3200 512mb RAM .. $19.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…p;sku=TC3A-4000

I don't know what type of RAM your Dad's machine requires, or how big a stick the modules can handle, but it can "probably" handle 512 sticks.

Use the Crucial Memory Advisor to determine what size/type of RAM his machine requires.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listProductLi…l&submit=Go
Then buy it at TigerDirect or NewEgg for best prices.

You can safely delete your Temporary Internet Files. (and you should do so periodically, as this is often the first entry point for much malware…… and you don't need to be hauling around all that old temp junk as you browse the internet anyway)

Go to Control Panel - Internet Options
Click on Delete Cookies
Click on Delete Files — here you will be given an option to Delete Offline Content - put a checkmark to allow. then complete the Delete Files
Hi mstein66, By now, I imagine that you've utilized Add/Remove to uninstall LiveUpdate. Was that successful? If not, there are other steps that can be taken. As to the other files and folders Norton/Symantec, you can safely delete them. ***Special Note: I have used ImageShack successfully for more than a year, as have thousands of others. Recently ImageShack experienced an Attack, possibly trojan in nature. The problem reportedly affected "Thumbnail" links, and hopefully has already been corrected. As a result, I will not be recommending ImageShack for a brief period of time while I research the risk and repair as they restore their system. Your post, using ImageShack as I recommended, apparently DID NOT cause any harm and did not expose you to Risk. However, I urge you to discontinue use of ImageShack for the time-beiing. I apologize for any inconvenience or concern that this may cause you. ________ In the meantime, I look forward to reading your progess, and stand ready to be of assistance in whatever way I am able. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI