mbvpixies78
Topic Starter
My computer kept powering down (hard restarting itself) and I checked a bunch of things in safe mode and nothing I tried worked so I deleted and reformatted and reinstalled my C: (although I kept some of the partitions on the two drives but they weren't a part of the system nor did they contain the boot sector. Some of this is guessing on my part so correct me if I'm wrong about that presumption.
That was the background, now the hard facts:
Windows 2000 SP4
nVidia nForce 2 MCP-T APU in nVidia Southbridge(w/Realtek ALC650 AC'97 audio CODEC)
also, coincidentally, nVidia Northbridge and video card (Asylum GeForce FX 5200 128 MB)
Symptoms:
If I reduce the left speaker volume bar through the nVidia software (nForce Tray), nothing changes.
If I reduce the right speaker volume bar down all the way, both left and right speakers get quieter and finally mute together. Also, some program I tried to initiate told me I was not in stereo mode and needed to be to run the program.
When I was installing the drivers for the nVidia sound and display, I might have installed the wrong ones. I uninstalled all nVidia software and reinstalled the right (verified nForce 2) drivers (see, I'm missing the original disk the drivers were on and the audio worked fine with them. I tried installing an older version of the drivers, but there's no way of knowing which version the motherboard came with without the CD-Rom.
Any suggestions or do I need to go look through all my boxes in storage again? I never hear back from tech support so I figured I'd ask you as a way of also introducing myself (I'm a new student at malware remover and heard about you there).
Thanks.