Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Links open and close instantly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigla2

bigla2

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:14 AM

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Please ask me for more info or clarification if needed.
I have NetZero dial up in my vacation home. When I go to certain sites, and click on a link for another page on that site, it will open and close instantly. I have turned off the pop-up blocker, ZoneAlarm, and ad-aware and it still does not work. When I used Bellsouth dial up, with those utilities turned off I was able to access those pages but not when they were enabled. I have the third party browser extensions box checked.
I am using a Dell 4500 PC with Windows XP.
Netzero offered no help.
Thanks Bigla

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

Hi Bigla,

Apparently you are using IE.
GoTo - Tools - Advanced - Click on Restore Defaults

Let us know how you are progressing.

Best Regards

p.s. Don't be browsing around without your Firewall active... Not a good idea at all.
Have you selected to turn-off Windows XP firewall in favor of ZoneAlarm? Do so.

Edited by dough, 05 July 2006 - 08:33 AM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 bigla2

bigla2

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for interest. Yes I use IE at my vacation home with NetZero as primary dial up ISP. Yes, ZoneAlarm disables the windows firewall. I don't browse w/o firewall. There are a few sites where this problem happens. One is golfnetonline.net which allows one to post their golf scores when away from their club. I can get to my club page and when I click the link to post the scores, the page will come up for an instant and then disappear. No matter what I have tried, allowing pop-ups, closing firewalll for this site only, closing ad-ware se plus for this site only and your suggestion to restore defaults I get the same results. When I used bellsouth as my ISP with IE, I can access the page if I disable Adaware and zone Alarm. This has happened with other pages when I want to access a link within a website. It only happens with a few websites, otherwise I don't have the problem. Netzero is abffled and so am I. I certainly would prefer not to have to disable to firewall. Any other suggestions Thanks Larry

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:54 PM

The website, that you listed, uses "vbscripting" which has been somewhat notorious for causing difficulties in browsers, except it seems to function better in the Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 5.+

since you're using IE, you "shouldn't" be having much problem with the pages, but then of course, you are.

How about running Microsofts Updates? Maybe they've come out with a vb scripting engine patch that solves this problem........ Then on the other hand, April's Microsoft updates were disasterous and caused many people problems that they didn't have before updating.

Here's an article about WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) that demonstrates why you may benefit from removing Windows auto-updater/WGA and subscribe to a paid service like NetChkPro.
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/060629/

VBs is Microsoft's attempt to emulate Java scripting and is present in your operating system via Microsoft's Windows Script Host.

My first "hunch" prior to visiting the golf website, was that it was JAVA related, and I was going to recommend that you update to the most recent version of Java Runtime Environment. It probably won't improve your current web-access situation, but is still recommended since the newest version has fixed a variety of identified vulnerabilities. You can update JAVA here:
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

So I've walked and talked all around your problem without actually recommending a specific fix. I'm sorry.
Please run Microsoft updates, or investigate NetChkPro for a more reliable source of updates.
Please update your JAVA Runtime Environment and delete any old versions of Runtime Environment.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.