Been having a problem with my wife's Windows XP loaded computer.Her mouse will work fine for a few moments….then only move up and down.We have cleaned the mouse and bought another and it still does it.The mouse cursor will move correctly if you remove it from the back of the computer for a moment and replace.However,once again,it will only move up and down afer a few moments.
Any ideas???? It's a Dell Dimension.
Welcome to the forum
Sounds like a hardware problem to me.
Is it a serial mouse (would most likely have a round plug-in)?
If so, I would suggest getting a USB type mouse and see if that works for you, provided you have USB ports on the machine.
I know somone who experienced similar problems. Getting a USB type mouse fixed the problem. So, I can only surmise it was a hardware problem.
Kinda figured things out.Tried my "opti-mouse" on my wife's computer.Worked great….seems somehow she got her PC in that mode…..darned if I know how to get it out of it.I have one of the old Microsoft Mouses on mine and can't get that to work also Need some help to fix the obvious.
The mouse attached has to match the software installed….
Go to the mouse properties in the Control Panel.
Click the "Hardware" tab to see if more than one "mouse" is there.
Kinda hard to do when the mouse doesn't work.
Gotta use the arrow keys, and the tab, or shift-tab, to bounce around.
Then when you land on the correct item.
Thanks……I've been there and know where you are talking about.I have a couple mouse programs there.Guess I will have to try several to see which one is the correct on.