Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Iphlpapi.dll & Smbdpmi.exe Errors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrCharlie

MrCharlie

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 07:28 AM

Does anyone know if these error messages (IPHLPAPI.dll & SMBDPMI.exe) errors are related to any spy/adware? System is Windows ME. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Forum God

• Malware Expert
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 02:50 PM

I don't think there's necessarily any spyware link there.

Do you have the exact text of the error messages for us, please?
And could you let us have a closer look at your configuration?

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ , and download 'Hijack This!'.
Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log somewhere, and please show us its contents.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

Edited by TonyKlein, 09 November 2003 - 02:50 PM.

#3 MrCharlie

MrCharlie

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 06:49 PM

It's not my system, I'm trying to help someone else out on Annoyances.com. They are running ME, that's all I know. I told them to run Spybot and the Shredder, and also to download and run a free test that checks for file errors etc. They never posted back, so I don't know how they made out. Below is what they posted, I just curious about the error message. I know the CoolWebSearch can cause alot of error messages like that. I'll post back if they get back to me, thanks for your time and looking. I receive "2" different errors when using my computer: 1) Cannot find C. . . . . SMBDPMI.exe and IPHLPAPI.dll cannot start. My OS is WinME. I recently updated my eMail to AOL 9.0. I do not know if this caused the problem or just brought it to light.yances.com

#4 MrCharlie

MrCharlie

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:13 PM

Turns out it may have been some sort of spy/adware. The 'Shredder' and/or Spybot has cleared it up. I would have liked to know what was causing it, but maybe next time it comes up I'll have the person post a HT log to find out. Thanks

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2003 - 09:00 AM

i am also getting "IPHLPAPI.DLL cannot start" when i boot my windows ME computer... i would like to find out what it is before i get rid of it...

#6 secgkc

secgkc

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:58 AM

The "IPHLPAPA.DLLl did not start" error message has just appeared on two of my WindowsME computers on startup. I too would like to know what is causing this and whether it is caused by a virus or spyware. Does anyone know the cause or fix for this problem?

#7 MrCharlie

MrCharlie

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:31 PM

Why don't you run a scan of the system using HiJack This and post the results and someone will look at it for you. I would also like to know what it's related to. Spybot and/or CW Shredder should get rid of it, but before you use them post a HJT log. Thanks, MrC

HiJackThis

#8 Guest_David Pickett_*

Guest_David Pickett_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2003 - 10:04 AM

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;823256