This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Missing icons in Sys Tray Win XP

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a strange problem that for the life of me I can't solve. In my system tray there are always icons that seem to go missing, even though the apps are running under task manager. Every time I re-boot the missing icons change. An example is sometimes the Norton Ghost icon is there other times after re-boot it's gone. Other times it can be the volume control icon etc etc. Same goes for all of the sys tray icons. It isn't exclusive to any one program Im pretty sure it's not a malware prob, as I have run every scan I can think of and they all are clean. Otherwise the PC runs fine. Anybody have any ideas, I know it's not a major problem, but one that i would like to know how to fix.
in the task bar, and choose Properties

Then click Customize.

In there you can change the "behavior" ("always show", "always hide", "hide when inactive", …) of the tray icons.
:)
if im not wrong, there is a software that comes with the sp2 that allows you to remove rarely used icon in your system tray… if you can turn it off it may help, or follow micah would be good too
Probably.. So some icons are missing.. Hmm maybe this would help you out.

Visit: http://www.tune-up.com/
Download and Install the Tuneup Utilities 2006

This software can fix registry errors, applications, fixing icons and many more.
If you need more info bout this software, just read it in the site . I am sure this will be a big help for you.
It repair icon cache, reloads icon that are missing in your desktop, also it can recover your machines memory
by deleting temporary files and usless files that can be safely remove.

I hope this could help :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI