This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cleaned up the Comp but now some icons are missing images...

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there, I just cleaned out a nasty spamware, trojan which completely disabled my XP, using help from another forum on here and was recommended to post my current issue here. Here's a link to that forum in case you'd like to know what was done - http://forums.whatthetech.com/Blue_Screen_…691#entry595691

My issue now is, some of my icons on my desktop (i.e. shortcuts and things), as well as some of the icons in my start menu primarily in the programs folder. I don't know if this is something that was affected by one of the buggers I had on here, or if it's just something that got triggered off and needs reset.

I'm running XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. Hoping this is a simple fix!

Thanks!
Well I have 1 very easy possible solution, but if it doesn't work then I have no idea, there is obviously some corruption from the infections, and I'm not best placed to go deep into that sort of area, but I can hope the fix I know works. Go to an icon thats lost it's correct view, right click on it and select properties, what you are looking for is a button that says "Change Icon" but you may need to press other tabs\buttons to see if it shows, because it doesn't always depending on the icon place I would guess, if other windows open pressing things and they are not what you need click Cancel to close those, that way no changes are made. Assuming you find the change icon button, click it, now another window should open automatically showing the default icon, simply apply and save\exit, now repeat the same process if required, sometimes I have found it takes 2 cycles before the displayed icon changes, I have no idea why, but it's what I have found, should this not work then I am at a loss, but I'm hopeful that this will at least sort some of your icons, hope it helps.
The Iconcache.db file sometimes gets corrupted. Try deleting it from /Documents and Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data. XP will rebuild it.

You may have to show hidden files and system files as follows:

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)
Click Apply and OK

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI