Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 suhail

suhail

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:17 AM

Hey fellas I was wondering if leaving the computer on all the time would reduce its lifespan or cause some heating problems which can lead to disaster. Thanx!!!!!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 dave38

dave38

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

If your computer does not overheat in normal use, then leaving it on reduces the thermal stresses associated with startups from cold, so in theory at least, the electronics parts should last longer. However, the mechanical parts (optical/hard drives) have a limited lifespan, and could wear out sooner You pays your money, and takes your choice.
I didn't believe in reincarnation last time either!

#3 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

agree,no harm in leaving it on, set hd to shut down after 15minutes or so of inactivity via power options in control panel
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#4 grandsea

grandsea

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

Hey fellas I was wondering if leaving the computer on all the time would reduce its lifespan or cause some heating problems which can lead to disaster. Thanx!!!!!!

I'm new so shout me an E-mail if I should have posted this as a new topic! But I've always been told that shuting down & restarting windowsxXP & vista os systems was part of daily maint. and by doing this it allows this system to refresh it's self is this true?

#5 PCessna

PCessna

Linking to torrents in #whathetech

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

I'd Say do something like this Leave it on Monday-Friday. Shut it down Friday night, and then boot it up for the rest of the week. How does that sound?

#6 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

I'd Say do something like this
Leave it on Monday-Friday. Shut it down Friday night, and then boot it up for the rest of the week.
How does that sound?

Hi agan PCessna,

Have a look at the following site, great maintenance progam from Crow here with comments from others.

http://forums.whatth...nce_t26256.html :thumbup:

#7 PCessna

PCessna

Linking to torrents in #whathetech

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

Wow they say it is best to do what i would always say to do :D Weeeee... maybe someday i will be a tech helper here :thumbup:

Edited by PCessna, 13 September 2007 - 09:15 AM.

#8 Nenene

Nenene

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:I like to flying and I have a pilots license along with a husband who flies. How about looking cute and being moe that;s a wonderful thing to do especially when we go out. I also like to explore the desert with my husband Rhun. We are both geologists; he works in and around the desert national parks and preserves while I teach geology, earth science and art at a community college.<br /><br />

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:09 AM

Hi PC Cessna,

Do you fly a real Cessna, I do, a 210P.

To answer your question Turn your computers off when not using them. I can give you several reasons.

The fans draw dust and dirt into the case require cleaning more often. Dust and dirt are the major killers of computers.
It costs more to run your computer that it does to turn it on and off.
There is more security in a computer turned of than there is is one that ins on.
Wear and tear is not an issue except for hdrives when in operation.

But most importantly,

By turning off your computer when it is not in use you conserve electricity. Think green. If your computer is goping to be idle for more than a couple of hours, turn it off.

Posted Image
This does not mean what you think it does.

#9 little eagle

little eagle

spyware hawk

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,968 posts
  • Interests:spyware

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:28 PM

Think green.

Not a good reason.

The fans draw dust and dirt into the case require cleaning more often.

Should be done more often by most people.
Turn the monitor off if you wish to think green. ;)
Leave the hard drive on the boot up puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the hard drive.
But you need to backup your hard drive anyway so when it does thrash on you it's not one of those OH SH-- moments.
Also most anti-spwware and anti-viruses update twice a day you want the new definitions. Doesn't update when off.
Heck who wants windows updating while your using the PC?
I would clean out temp files and reboot at least twice a week.

#10 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

Think green.

Not a good reason.

The fans draw dust and dirt into the case require cleaning more often.

Should be done more often by most people.
Turn the monitor off if you wish to think green. ;)
Leave the hard drive on the boot up puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the hard drive.
But you need to backup your hard drive anyway so when it does thrash on you it's not one of those OH SH-- moments.
Also most anti-spwware and anti-viruses update twice a day you want the new definitions. Doesn't update when off.
Heck who wants windows updating while your using the PC?
I would clean out temp files and reboot at least twice a week.

Hi little eagle, good to get your opinion - I agree entirely with all you say. I guess you are the same 'little eagle' that helps me out from time to time on Security Central? Thanks for being here to give your expert help/opinions on WTT.

"OH SH-- moments"

made me laugh.

kind regards, :thumbup:

#11 little eagle

little eagle

spyware hawk

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,968 posts
  • Interests:spyware

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

I guess you are the same 'little eagle' that helps me out from time to time on Security Central?

Yes that is LDTate's and my website :thumbup:

#12 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:08 PM

I guess you are the same 'little eagle' that helps me out from time to time on Security Central?

Yes that is LDTate's and my website :thumbup:

Great, now I have two forums to track you down!!!

Keep up the good work.

kind regards,