Discussion
Computer
4 min read
suhail
Topic Starter
Hey fellas I was wondering if leaving the computer on all the time would reduce its lifespan or cause some heating problems which can lead to disaster. Thanx!!!!!!
dave38
If your computer does not overheat in normal use, then leaving it on reduces the thermal stresses associated with startups from cold, so in theory at least, the electronics parts should last longer.
However, the mechanical parts (optical/hard drives) have a limited lifespan, and could wear out sooner
You pays your money, and takes your choice.
shelf life
agree,no harm in leaving it on, set hd to shut down after 15minutes or so of inactivity via power options in control panel
grandsea
Hey fellas I was wondering if leaving the computer on all the time would reduce its lifespan or cause some heating problems which can lead to disaster. Thanx!!!!!!
I'm new so shout me an E-mail if I should have posted this as a new topic! But I've always been told that shuting down & restarting windowsxXP & vista os systems was part of daily maint. and by doing this it allows this system to refresh it's self is this true?
PCessna
I'd Say do something like this
Leave it on Monday-Friday. Shut it down Friday night, and then boot it up for the rest of the week.
How does that sound?
tallin
I'd Say do something like this
Leave it on Monday-Friday. Shut it down Friday night, and then boot it up for the rest of the week.
How does that sound?
Hi agan PCessna,
Have a look at the following site, great maintenance progam from Crow here with comments from others.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Run_Maintenance_t26256.html
PCessna
Wow they say it is best to do what i would always say to do
Weeeee… maybe someday i will be a tech helper here 
Nenene
Hi PC Cessna,
Do you fly a real Cessna, I do, a 210P.
To answer your question Turn your computers off when not using them. I can give you several reasons.
The fans draw dust and dirt into the case require cleaning more often. Dust and dirt are the major killers of computers.
It costs more to run your computer that it does to turn it on and off.
There is more security in a computer turned of than there is is one that ins on.
Wear and tear is not an issue except for hdrives when in operation.
But most importantly,
By turning off your computer when it is not in use you conserve electricity. Think green. If your computer is goping to be idle for more than a couple of hours, turn it off.
[external image: Posted Image]
This does not mean what you think it does.
Do you fly a real Cessna, I do, a 210P.
To answer your question Turn your computers off when not using them. I can give you several reasons.
The fans draw dust and dirt into the case require cleaning more often. Dust and dirt are the major killers of computers.
It costs more to run your computer that it does to turn it on and off.
There is more security in a computer turned of than there is is one that ins on.
Wear and tear is not an issue except for hdrives when in operation.
But most importantly,
By turning off your computer when it is not in use you conserve electricity. Think green. If your computer is goping to be idle for more than a couple of hours, turn it off.
[external image: Posted Image]
This does not mean what you think it does.
little eagle
Not a good reason.Think green.
Should be done more often by most people.The fans draw dust and dirt into the case require cleaning more often.
Turn the monitor off if you wish to think green.
Leave the hard drive on the boot up puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the hard drive.
But you need to backup your hard drive anyway so when it does thrash on you it's not one of those OH SH– moments.
Also most anti-spwware and anti-viruses update twice a day you want the new definitions. Doesn't update when off.
Heck who wants windows updating while your using the PC?
I would clean out temp files and reboot at least twice a week.
tallin
Not a good reason.Think green.
Should be done more often by most people.The fans draw dust and dirt into the case require cleaning more often.
Turn the monitor off if you wish to think green.![]()
Leave the hard drive on the boot up puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the hard drive.
But you need to backup your hard drive anyway so when it does thrash on you it's not one of those OH SH– moments.
Also most anti-spwware and anti-viruses update twice a day you want the new definitions. Doesn't update when off.
Heck who wants windows updating while your using the PC?
I would clean out temp files and reboot at least twice a week.
Hi little eagle, good to get your opinion - I agree entirely with all you say. I guess you are the same 'little eagle' that helps me out from time to time on Security Central? Thanks for being here to give your expert help/opinions on WTT.
"OH SH– moments"
made me laugh.
kind regards,
little eagle
I guess you are the same 'little eagle' that helps me out from time to time on Security Central?
Yes that is LDTate's and my website
tallin
I guess you are the same 'little eagle' that helps me out from time to time on Security Central?
Yes that is LDTate's and my website![]()
Great, now I have two forums to track you down!!!
Keep up the good work.
kind regards,