Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:50 PM

In the last week I have received email that has jpg,bmp or gifs embedded in the body of the email. When I receive them I can see the graphic as well as hear the sound. The graphics are also listed under attachments. If I forward them, the receiver hears no sound and all the grpahics are blank with little red 'x's. I've gone back to the original email and find that now those emails have the same problem-- no sound no graphics. I've ran NAV, SpyBot, Ad-Aware, and CWS and found nothing------Any one have any idea what is causing this? Thanks in advance Alan

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Emeritus-Spyware Fighter

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 05:09 PM

It could be that the emails have links to a webspace store/page for the actual file(s) that are displaying this pic/sound. If the link now points to a dead site/page that would cause this.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

#3 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 05:58 PM

http://tomcoyote.org/outlook1.php

best to read email as plain text so those sounds and images don't display, those could be virus' or exploits on the very next email you might get

Read the above link to see how to protect your email useage
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#4 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2003 - 01:38 PM

Hi Coyote Yes I do not use the preview screen and I read everything in plain text. I only open when I know I can trust the person sending the email, or I have checked with them to see if they did indeed send attachments previousy scanned. I also use Mail Washer Pro which pretty much ensures what email I do receive is not infected. Last week, I could open an email with graphics in the body of the email and then forward that email to someone and the graphics were transmitted. Now, the graphics are not being transmitted--only red "x"s. If I want to transmit the graphics, I have to save them to desktop and then re-embed them in the body of the email I want to forward. Not sure why OE has started to do this. Something I'm not sure about-- if the email that I received had the graphics as attachments-- does OE automatically show them in the message? Because--I delete the attachments to cut down on the size of the emails, but if the visible graphic is linked to the attachment then I can understand why the graphics no longer show up because I broke the link. Is this a possibility? What does not make sense is when I go back to the original email which had the attachments as well as the graphics, it too has turned to red "x"s. Any ideas?

#5 DroidC

DroidC

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 01:43 PM

What version of Outlook Express ae you using? You say this used to work but now it doesn't? What changes took place? We can try to repait Internet Explorer and Outlook express, but I would need to know whih version you are running... :)
Droid C

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2003 - 01:54 PM

I'm using version 6.00.2800.1123-- It's the same for both isn't it?

#7 DroidC

DroidC

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 02:00 PM

Yes IE and OE are both the same version. Try a repair. From the RUN line enter: rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance (You can cut and paste the above into the RUN line)
Droid C

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2003 - 02:31 PM

THanks DroidC Do I perform the repair while online or not?

#9 DroidC

DroidC

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 02:38 PM

Both IE and OE will need to closed when you run the repair :)
Droid C

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2003 - 03:49 PM

Well DroidC You have certainly earned your avatar today! It's seems to be working like it should again. I sent the same troublesome email and the others received it in good working order-- graphics and sound!!! Thanks for your help :thumbup:

#11 DroidC

DroidC

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 03:55 PM

Cool, Glad I was able to assist you :lol:
Droid C

#12 Norseman

Norseman

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 02:00 AM

I do not use Outlook Express at all I have deleted off my machine. Is it not and easy way to get a Virus?