This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Have I been Hi Jacked?

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys

I just have suspicion that my lBM ThinkPad laptop computer may have been hijacked due to some unexplained happenings over this year..

I have run both Spy Sweeper and Spy Catcher and between them they have found the following files and suggested that they are suspicious etc.

I have not deleted any files at this stage but some are now quarantined and I have marked them as such>



VNC 3.3.9 which is c:\ProgramFiles\Support.com\Bin\vnchooks.dll (now Quarantined)

Mass Instant Messenger which is c:\ProgramFiles\Free CD-DA Extractor 4.8\irunin.lng (now Quarantined)

LPng.dll which is C:\WINDOWS\system32\LPng.dll (now Quarantined)

Indexcleaner.exe which is C;\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\indexcleaner.exe (now Quarantined)
Tpiu000.exe which is C;\WINDOWS\_tpiu000.exe
c;\windows\system32\lpng.dll
c;\program files\support.com\bin\vnchooks.dll
c;\program files\free cd-da extractor 4.8\irunin.lng

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\rcimlby.exe –LaunchRA

I have run Spy Bot and it has found none of these “suspicious files”
I have run Ad Aware SE and it has found none of these “suspicious files” either.

I have Symantec Anti Virus running in the background and it has not detected and or suggested that these files are suspicious as have Spy Sweeper and Spy Catcher

I would be very grateful for any help or advice with this potential problem.
Thank you
Wayne



Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:25:51 PM, on 19/04/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapMn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY_1\TpScrex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Proxy.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe
C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\SpyCatcher.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\wmathieson\Desktop\Downloaded programs\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 127.0.0.1:7212
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareBlock Class - {0A87E45F-537A-40B4-B812-E2544C21A09F} - C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\SCActiveBlock.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar4.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar4.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3TRAY2] S3Tray2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe irprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMLREF] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\BMMLREF.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QCWLICON] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPKMAPMN] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapMn.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TP4EX] tp4ex.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EZEJMNAP] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "c:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Error Nuker] C:\Program Files\Error Nuker\bin\ErrorNuker.exe autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostSurf Reminder] "C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Privacy Control Center.exe" reminder
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [MRUBlaster] C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\indexcleaner.exe -CC
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Startup: MRU-Blaster Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: MRU-Blaster Silent Clean.lnk = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\mrublaster.exe
O4 - Startup: Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Scheduler daemon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: GhostSurf proxy.lnk = C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Proxy.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SpyCatcher Protector.lnk = C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Protector.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yhexbmesau.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yhexbmesau.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {15589FA1-C456-11CE-BF01-000000000000} - http://www.errornuker.com/products/errn200…erInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = runaway.com.au
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = runaway.com.au
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = runaway.com.au
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = runaway.com.au
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: interceptor.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: IBM PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: QCONSVC - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe :unsure: :unsure:
Welcome to the forum.

The log look OK.

This file is bad
C:\WINDOWS\_tpiu000.exe


Lets do this…….

Please download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
1. When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
2. When you run ewido for the first time, you will get a warning "Database could not be found!". Click OK. We will fix this in a moment.
3. From the main ewido screen, click on update in the left menu, then click the Start update button.
4. After the update finishes (the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful")
5. Clean out temporary and TIF files. Go to Start > Run and type in the box: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure these 3 are checked and then press *ok* to remove:

Temporary Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin

6. Reboot into safe mode
You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode then hit enter.

7. Run Ewido Security Suite — Do a "Complete System Scan"
Let it clean all files
8. Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report Click Save report. Save the report .txt file to your desktop.

Tutorial if needed

Reboot and post a fresh HJT log and the log from Ewido Security Suite, MrC
MrCharlie
Thank you for your assistance.
I have done what you have asked me to do and the resultant los are attached below.
The _tpiu000.exe appears to be part of my IBM Think Pad files according to Microsoft and Tenebril websites.
I have an IBM Think Pad T40
What do you think?
Do the scans that I have done take into consideration that there are those suspicious files identified by Spy Sweeper are currently residing in Spy Sweeper. Some files I have designated as "Allow" and some have been designated as "Quarantine". (refer original post for full list) One of these files is indexcleaner.exe which appears to be part of MRU BLaster which I have installed. I have not redesignated this or other files until this checking process is complete,, just in case. What do you think?
My main concern through all of this was/ is that I have been monitored by some sort of keylogging spyware or Back Orrifice type program. Do these scans which appear to be ok mean that this no longer a concern? (assuming that you see the scans as ok)

I await you further advice.
Thank you for your time and knowledge.
Kind regards
Wayne Mathieson

———————————————————
ewido anti-malware - Scan report
———————————————————

+ Created on: 2:07:55 PM, 26/04/2006
+ Report-Checksum: 542B0B9E

+ Scan result:

No infected objects found.


::Report End


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:29:06 PM, on 26/04/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapMn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY_1\TpScrex.exe
C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Proxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\wmathieson\Desktop\Downloaded programs\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 127.0.0.1:7212
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareBlock Class - {0A87E45F-537A-40B4-B812-E2544C21A09F} - C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\SCActiveBlock.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar4.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar4.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3TRAY2] S3Tray2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe irprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMLREF] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\BMMLREF.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QCWLICON] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPKMAPMN] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapMn.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TP4EX] tp4ex.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EZEJMNAP] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "c:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Error Nuker] C:\Program Files\Error Nuker\bin\ErrorNuker.exe autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostSurf Reminder] "C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Privacy Control Center.exe" reminder
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [MRUBlaster] C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\indexcleaner.exe -CC
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
O4 - Startup: MRU-Blaster Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: MRU-Blaster Silent Clean.lnk = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\mrublaster.exe
O4 - Startup: Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Scheduler daemon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: GhostSurf proxy.lnk = C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Proxy.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SpyCatcher Protector.lnk = C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Protector.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar4.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yhexbmesau.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yhexbmesau.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {15589FA1-C456-11CE-BF01-000000000000} - http://www.errornuker.com/products/errn200…erInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = runaway.com.au
O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = runaway.com.au
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = runaway.com.au
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = runaway.com.au
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: interceptor.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: IBM PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: QCONSVC - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

The _tpiu000.exe appears to be part of my IBM Think Pad files according to Microsoft and Tenebril websites.
I have an IBM Think Pad T40
What do you think?


Tpiu000.exe - I looked up this file not _tpiu000.exe , my mistake - the file is OK.
Ewido Security Suite will check all the files on the system, even those in "Quarantine"
Your HJT log is clean and Ewido shows nothing - you have nothing to worry about.
—————————–

If you have any questions - please post back

I'll leave you with……..

Some preventive maintenance:

——————Must have or do:—————–

Now that you're clean: <—-Important Step!!!!
Delete your system restore files and create a new restore point:
(ME and XP users only)

XP system restore

ME system restore

Visit Windows Update and install all the lastest critical updates.

Install these two free programs, they sit in the backround and protect your system from spy and adware being installed on your system, also from your browser being hijacked.

SpywareBlaster Check for updates weekly.

SpywareGuard

IE-SPYAD
Puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone, so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
or try the new ZonedOut

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

Need a free anti virus?
AVG*free
(check for updates - daily)
Avast free

How about a firewall? The front door to your computer.
ZoneAlarm*free

Other free firewalls

Keep those temp files off your system use
CCleaner
Uncheck "Cookies" under "Internet Explorer".
or
ATF Cleaner - hit "select all" (uncheck cookies is optional - leave it checked if you want to delete all cookies) then just uncheck "cookies" then "empty selected" That will clear out all the temp files on the system.


IMPORTANT!!
Keep your Sun Java up-to-date
Download page
Delete ALL old versions from add/remove programs if listed!

———-Free malware removal programs:———-

SpyBot
AD-Aware
CW-Shredder

Ewido trojan scanner<—VERY GOOD! (XP and 2K only)

Please consider using FireFox instead of Internet Explorer. A more secure browser! Easy to make the change!
FireFox Tutorial


Pop-up stoppers:
GoogleToolBar
Pop-upStopperFree

Disable Windows MessengerXP - 2K (stops pop-up ads -etc):
Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP
How to Remove Windows Messenger on Windows XP
How to Remove Windows Messenger on Windows XP
Shoot The Messenger

Don't open e-mail attachments without first scanning them with an up-to-date
anti virus program, even after doing that I would be very careful. Don't click on any executables in e-mails or any other links that you're not sure of.
Watch your surfing habits, don't click on or download anything you're not sure of. Don't install a program that hasn't been recommended by a reputable organization.

Good luck and thanks for using the forum - MrC
MrC Thank you for your time and advice. It is much appreciated. I will work my way through the suggestions that you have made re the overall security of my laptop. I have a few questions relating to your reccommendations that hopefully you could answer. Is it now safe for me to redesignate those 4 files that have been held in quarantine by Spy Sweeper although I still remain a little suspicious of the VNC 3.3.9 file. I think this is associated with Windows Remote Assistance which I have now turned off as I don't think I need it at this stage. ( Not forgetting that my main concern has been have I been back doored, keylogged, remote controlled etc.) Last night I shut down my computer and upon trying to reboot this morning I couldn't because my logon pasword to the network had been changed to nothing (just enter) as I discovered. Now I did not do this change so I am wondering how this could happen. I work in an office where my laptop is connected into a network server which is administered by an outside administrator. I believe that the broadband internet connection that I make is direct to the internet throgh a firewall and not through the network? Previously I have had an occassion whereby after shutting down my laptop at night I return in the morning to find myself allready logged in to the network. A coleague returned to his laptop to find it shut down after having left it logged in recently and sometimes complains that his cursor is moving by itself. Would the scans that we have done reveal if there is, what might look like an official monitoring, keylogging, remote or similar situation by the administrator of the entire network? I value your guidance on this one! You reccomend to install SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard . Do I still need them if I have SpyCatcher and SpySweeper running in the background or can I simply add these 2 new ones in without any conflict issues? I also have SpybotS&D and Adaware SE and MRUBlaster installed and run a scan regularly with them. I am now currently connecting to the internet through an anonymiser program GhostSurf Platinum as well. IE-SPYAD sounds like a good idea. Will do Firewalls I currently have Windows XP SP2 which I understand has an installed firewall. Do I still need another one and will I have to uninstall the XP version or can both run side by side? I run Symantec Anti Virus updated automatically, is this enough without installing AVG? CCleaner and ATF Cleaner are these needed if I have the other aforementioned programs installed and running already? Will update Java after deleting old version(s) Ewido Trojan Scanner Is this part of the Ewido program that you directed me to download earlier ( without the background guard part) and if so do I download the same program again with that component? Firefox Yes I have been contemplating this for a while. Popup stoppers I think I have covered with Google and SpyCatcher and SpySweeper. Will disable Windows Messenger. Your last point re email attachments, is this not covered already by the Symantec Anti Virus background protection or should I use the AVG to scan any that I want to open but have a small doubt about despite Symantecs protection. Hopefully these questions dont burden you too greatly but I feel they are very important to me and my security on line as well as my corporate network connection. Indeed they should remove any further need to bother you and your colleagues. Thank you, I await your advice. Kind regards Wayne Mathieson :wavey: :wavey:
OK, please do this for me:

Visit This Site, scroll down and click on the "I accept" button at the bottom. Download "BlackLight Beta" on the next page. Double click on the blbeta.exe, accept the agreement and click "next". Click the scan button. When the scan completes, a log is generated and placed in the folder where you downloaded the BlackLight Beta program. Locate that log, copy and post the contents back here in this thread.
MrC
MrC Thanks for your attention. I have done what you suggested and here is the log. It appears to be ok with just the 2 GhostSurf files which I recently installed. Is this right? If so it would appear that I am clear but would you mind answering my questions from my previous post. This way I can make sure that I keep it clean in the future with the proper protection. Once again thanks heaps. Kind regards Wayne 04/28/06 18:02:52 [Info]: BlackLight Engine 1.0.36 initialized 04/28/06 18:02:52 [Info]: OS: 5.1 build 2600 (Service Pack 2) 04/28/06 18:02:53 [Note]: 7019 4 04/28/06 18:02:53 [Note]: 7005 0 04/28/06 18:03:39 [Note]: 7006 0 04/28/06 18:03:39 [Note]: 7011 3304 04/28/06 18:03:40 [Note]: 7026 0 04/28/06 18:03:40 [Note]: 7026 0 04/28/06 18:03:40 [Note]: 7024 3 04/28/06 18:03:40 [Info]: Hidden process: C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Protector.exe 04/28/06 18:03:40 [Note]: 7024 3 04/28/06 18:03:40 [Info]: Hidden process: C:\Program Files\GhostSurf 2006 Platinum\Scheduler daemon.exe 04/28/06 18:03:40 [Note]: FSRAW library version 1.7.1015
Is it now safe for me to redesignate those 4 files that have been held in quarantine by Spy Sweeper although I still remain a little suspicious of the VNC 3.3.9 file. I think this is associated with Windows Remote Assistance which I have now turned off as I don't think I need it at this stage. Not forgetting that my main concern has been have I been back doored, keylogged, remote controlled etc.

The link below explains want it is:
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=57313

If you no longer use it, uninstall or delete it.

Any files you want to check - just upload them HERE for a free scan.
As far as I can see the computer is clean.

————————————————-

Last night I shut down my computer and upon trying to reboot this morning I couldn't because my logon pasword to the network had been changed to nothing (just enter) as I discovered. Now I did not do this change so I am wondering how this could happen. I work in an office where my laptop is connected into a network server which is administered by an outside administrator. I believe that the broadband internet connection that I make is direct to the internet throgh a firewall and not through the network? Previously I have had an occassion whereby after shutting down my laptop at night I return in the morning to find myself allready logged in to the network. A coleague returned to his laptop to find it shut down after having left it logged in recently and sometimes complains that his cursor is moving by itself.

I can't explain all the anomalies that go on with computers.

————————————-

Would the scans that we have done reveal if there is, what might look like an official monitoring, keylogging, remote or similar situation by the administrator of the entire network?
I value your guidance on this one!


Yes, we would have spotted it.

——————————-

You reccomend to install SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard . Do I still need them if I have SpyCatcher and SpySweeper running in the background or can I simply add these 2 new ones in without any conflict issues?

You're OK with what you have

————————-

I also have SpybotS&D and Adaware SE and MRUBlaster installed and run a scan regularly with them. I am now currently connecting to the internet through an anonymiser program GhostSurf Platinum as well.

OK

——————————

IE-SPYAD sounds like a good idea. Will do

OK

—————————–

Firewalls I currently have Windows XP SP2 which I understand has an installed firewall. Do I still need another one and will I have to uninstall the XP version or can both run side by side?

Xp firewall is only incoming NG! You need a firewall that watches incoming as well as outgoing. You only need one firewall - disable XP firewall.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/firewall.htm <–disable XP FW.

———————————-

I run Symantec Anti Virus updated automatically, is this enough without installing AVG?

Yes, as long as you keep it updated -OK

———————————

CCleaner and ATF Cleaner are these needed if I have the other aforementioned programs installed and running already?

You didn't mention any other temp file cleaner - you need to have one on the system.

Windows also has a limited cleaner:

Clean out temporary and TIF files. Go to Start > Run and type in the box: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure these 3 are checked and then press *ok* to remove:

Temporary Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin

—————————

Will update Java after deleting old version(s)

Very important!!

————————

Ewido Trojan Scanner Is this part of the Ewido program that you directed me to download earlier ( without the background guard part) and if so do I download the same program again with that component?

If you want - it's just a cleaner

———————-

Firefox Yes I have been contemplating this for a while.

Very easy to do!

—————————-

Popup stoppers I think I have covered with Google and SpyCatcher and SpySweeper.

OK

—————————-

Will disable Windows Messenger.

OK

———————-

Your last point re email attachments, is this not covered already by the Symantec Anti Virus background protection or should I use the AVG to scan any that I want to open but have a small doubt about despite Symantecs protection.

You only need one AV - it should cover scanning e-mails

—————————-

Good Luck,
MrC
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI