Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Blank Page Load - Only Refresh works...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kim P.

Kim P.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

Symptoms in a nutshell (in sequential order):

1. Noticed in my yahoo mail that the tool bar (w/bold, italic, font, font size, etc etc) was disabled... completely unusable.

2. Began to notice constant "!" in yellow triangle at bottom of the screen (lower toolbar - left side) with, "Done but with errors" on most every page I would visit or load.

3. My default homepage is yahoo.com. It no longer loads on the first try. Have to refresh. It didn't effect ANY other page but my default page... but now it effects google.com as well (but so far, no other pages).

- "Back" works, but clicking on "home" icon from tool bar results with blank page load as well.

4. Our router just suddenly stopped working. Linksys was a HUGE help (tech help via email), but the problem could not be resolved. I can't help but think it's all related... (no longer hooked to router - just our cable modem)

5. After over a month of this- now programs on my computer won't work. Just dragging an icon causes my computer to lock up... the CPU goes up to 100%... can't use PictureIt! program... Not enough virtual memory... but yet - surfing on the net is no problem (with the exception of having to refresh yahoo and google - and mail tools not working).

6. Things are slowly getting worse.

Found this on another website where this person posted a similar problem (default homepage not loading - until it is refreshed) and apparently resolveld it:

Just for people with a similar problem, this turned out to be a plugin issue. The plugin needed external data which wasn't there on the first attempt, but it then cached new information so the refresh worked.

I've done system restores, I have antispy/malware programs loaded, I'm good on all my updates, I've checked for any hardware conflicts, etc etc......

I even changed the virtual memory setting so that it is 1.5x the RAM.......

I read through most of the self-help portions HERE and at other sites... does anyone have a clue how I can sort this out?

Thank You..
~Kim :)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:11:31 PM, on 4/17/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Edited by Kim P., 17 April 2006 - 08:47 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,686 posts
  • Interests:Boo!....
  • MVP

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

Try looking in event viewer for a logged error....
Using Event Viewer

And try the System File Checker Tool
Description of the Windows 2000 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, WI-MVP 2016-17
Antivirus Scanners Online Scanners Firewalls Slow Computer??

#3 Kim P.

Kim P.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

Juliet.. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. :) I just happened to discover Event Viewer in the wee hours of the morning - and I have to confess, even though I see LOTS of "errors" (red) and "warnings" (yellow) posted, I wouldn't know what to do with the information I'm looking at. Kicking myself for only taking 1 comp. class in college! :blink: Same goes with system file checker.. I think my fear is that my knowledge is limited, and I would hate to change something and make things worse. I REALLY want to reinstall IE.. I tried once - started the process (using the Operating Syst. disk)... all seemed well, but on start up, I had no IE at all. Not sure what I did to screw that up.. LOL... but will try again. I DID download the new IE 7 beta Preview.. and it DID get rid of the problems I was having... HOWEVER.... the quality was AWFUL!! The text on ALL web pages (and basic comp. functions: word, outlook express.. EVERYTHING) was a strange fuzzy reddish rainbowish look! Like what you'd see if you were wearing those cheapy 3-D glasses made of cardboard. I had to uninstall it and return to my IE. But it was a glimmer of hope that a new browser makes a difference. Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get down to the root of what's causing all this... and am dangling dangerously close to paying the obnoxious tech help fee at gateway. :unsure: ~Kim

#4 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• 7,686 posts
  • MVP

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Read this Microsoft page about Active scripting , ActiveX controls or Java applets.
Then scroll down and read this area.....Update or repair the scripting engine.

How to Troubleshoot Script Errors in Internet Explorer

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

#5 Kim P.

Kim P.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:05 PM

THANKS JULIET!!! WILL DO!!!! I'll post here if I have any success to report. :) ~kim

#6 Kim P.

Kim P.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:04 PM

Ok.. not sure what I've done, because I'm still reading through the scripting error info you linked me up with (I searched for this info many times, but would get tangled in the microsoft web, and end up reading about OTHER issues.... LOL)... Meanwhile, I needed to close a window. Decided to open a new browser window.. AND OUT OF THE BLUE.. it works. HMMMMMMMMM. A month of not working, then it suddenly works. I'm afraid to move... or breathe.. or sneeze. I've got LD Tate also giving me advice... and I'm going through some steps with him (backing up registry and just loaded regseeker (but haven't unzipped it yet).... when I noticed yahoo loading normally. ALSO... I've discovered that I cannot just type in www.domain.com -- it won't work.. LDTate guided me to some info about one of MS's April Patches causing problems.. and this MAY apply to me (as not being able to go straight from www. to a sight w/out typing http:// first is one of the symptoms people are complaining about). Apparently, I have to call the toll free number for MS (I smell $$) to get the fix for this........ HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........ Will get back to you.. am going to slow down a minute and think.. LOL! Am reading through the link you just posted. ~Kim ********OK........ HOOOOOOOOOOOOLD ON A MIN..................************** Just checked the www. thing (w/out typing http:)... and it suddenly WORKS????????????????????????????????????? All I've done thus far is create a backup of the registry - in prep for following Tate's advice to load regseeker.... which I have loaded, but have not installed from its zipped file yet. I'm scared to do this - but I'll reboot and see if anything happens. Perhaps I'm dreaming. *********** WAIT AGAIN (LOL) ********** Now clicking on the "home" icon is not working again..... blank page loads. It's like it's IN AND OUT...... weird. ~Kim

Edited by Kim P., 17 April 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#7 Kim P.

Kim P.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:49 PM

Hi again, Juliet...

I'm reading very carefully now through the links you've sent, and doubling checking each suggestion. I plan to methodically check off every option until I know I've tried everything.

I just posted a response to "Tate" at THIS thread -- I tried some of his suggestions, and posted the results here.

I will reply again as soon as I come across anything that improves/changes the situation. Thank you SO much for your help, Juliet!!!!

:)

~Kim

#8 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• 7,686 posts
  • MVP

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:39 AM

LOL....take your time.........Your gonna live through this.