This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I'm over the ms messanger issues

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:angry: Can someone please help me get rid of my msmsgs.exe problem? I downloaded startup moniter and it will let me know every three min that ms has exacuted the exe again. I like the start up monitor and thin it is helpful but I really need some peace with this issue. the only way I have been somewhat successfull is with spysweeper on the computer too but even with it ms still comes back every time I reboot. What do I do? :wtf:
That does not work and is the reason I looked here for help! I have done that so many times it is sad. I thank you for the advise and it is helpful for some things I had questions on, alas that is NOT a fix for this situation. I have alsotried to find it in add/remove to pull it out that way but MS has it hidden well. (from me at least) :wtf:
Hi Dangedcoyote, Since you're using XP Home (per your profile) Messenger Service should already be "turned off/disabled" if you have the most recent MS updates. If you are still running XP SP1, then I'd recommend that you Update to SP2 which will turn off this "service" by default. You should also be using an installed software Firewall, which will stop various kinds of attacks including attacks utilizing the Messenger Service, like Netbios, etc. So Update MS XP Home at the MS site, and install a Firewall. If you've done the above and still want to check that the Messenger Service is turned off, do the following: turn off the Messenger service. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control Panel). 2. Double-click Administrative Tools. 3. Double-click Services. 4. Double-click Messenger. 5. In the Startup type list, click Disabled. 6. Click Stop, and then click OK. Note If the Messenger service is stopped, messages from the Alerter service (notifications from your antivirus software, for example) are not transmitted. If the Messenger service is turned off, any services that explicitly depend on the Messenger service do not start, and an error message is logged in the system event log. Therefore, Microsoft recommends that you install a firewall and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic instead of turning off the Messenger service. Best Regards
I am running home and sp 2 all updates current, as well as 2 firewalls one on computer and one in router. I went through all 6 steps you recomended did not help exe still came on so I get this durned windows messenger icon back in my bar and in my start up. My norton never tells me anything about this exe and seems not to care. now I want to shoot my computer next idea???? the message displayed reads like this: the program MSMSGS has registered the executable "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"/background to run at system startup. want to allow this I hit no all the time and back she comes!!!!
Hi Dangedcoyote,

Maybe we are talking about two different "messengers"

Windows Messenger is part of the XP operating System.

MSN Messenger is an IM client that works like AIM or Trillian.

To Stop MSN Messenger,

Go To:

Start - Run - MSCONFIG - StartUp (tab)
remove the checkmark from in front of MSN Messenger. or any other "messenger" that you no longer wish to use.

Best Regards

Edit: Or you may accidentally have a virus at work here:

This is what WinTasks Process Library has to say:

msmsgs.exe is a process which is registered as the W32.Alcarys.B@mm worm. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open its hostile attachment. The worm has it’s own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

I think it is the aim typ of thing. when it displays in my tool thing(hate to use that vebage) on the bottom right of my screen where my norton and volume and time are also shown it comes up and has two people in it, looking like a instant messenger client. I will be trying your other ideas and posting again thanks for up to this point!
This I have done like three million times to no avail and is what everyone says to do and all that they can think of doing. So I know that this will not work or has not for me.
I have worked with LDTate and he never said t was an issue as far as a virus but I have no problem checking again but I will try what the other fella said to try first


To Stop MSN Messenger,

Go To:

Start - Run - MSCONFIG - StartUp (tab)
remove the checkmark from in front of MSN Messenger. or any other "messenger" that you no longer wish to use.

Best Regards

Micah, You genius!!! Thanks this has seemed to work up to this point with no problems.I did the download and followed the directions, did a reboot for now all is good. I did go to msconfig to look and it showed the exe in the file with no activity!!! Then however the hp health popped up and wanted to know should it restore it and I read this carefully and said h&%* NO! I am now at my computer being so very happy. I will repost if there becomes a problem. thanks to dough for the help and to you Micah for getting me a solution that seems to be working great! :wavey: :thumbup: :weee:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI