This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't Logon to PC

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

PC boots up to where the account's to logon to should be but the only thing there is the Windows XP Logo…It's the same way in safe mode to…I used my OEM XP Home CD to run chkdsk /r /p… all was good!! I also ran a bootable disk I have to check the HD it past it to. He said his sister was using it for awhile with out any anti virus going (2 or 3 mos.) It's A Dell Dimension 4500S P4 2.0ghz 256mb ram XP Home with sp2… So I think it mite have a Virus that won't let me have Access to it? ANY Help Any at ALL??? He does not have the recovery disk for it he lost it a couple years ago :blink: Would my OEM XP work to reinstall with his LIC.??? :unsure: PS no Errors or BSD.
Thanks for your reply dough!!! I would still have to come up with the mother board drivers, and the rest of the drivers I'm going to check dells site and see if I can get them there… I don't know if they have them for anyone to D/L or if you have to be a registered owner????
Each Dell owner has the opportunity to register with Dell Support.
I have several Dell computers, all listed to my support username login at Dell.
The particular machine is then identified to Dell via its Service Tag Number which is a seven digit randomly generated code label that is assigned to the machine at time of manufacture.
The Service Tag is printed on an ID sticker on the outside of the tower case.
In the event that you do not find such a tag, you can use Everest 2.20, which you can download free, here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

The Dell owner account was most likely created and confirmed back to a valid email account the owner had at the time of purchase or registration with Dell Support.

The Dell owner support account "can" be changed to a current email address account if the owner has changed email features. It may be possible to change the account to an active email address if the owner remembers the login email account address, the username and the password.

If the owner doesn't remember that information, it may still be possible to access Dell Support via phone email or phone contact to change the user support access login information.

With the Service Tag number, Dell Support will navigate you to a page with all the drivers for that type of machine with those features. Your specific machine may not have or need all the devices listed on the page you receive from Dell Support, but you should be able to figure out what you need from a combination of using your machines Device Manager, System Information Tool, and Everest 2.20.

Edit: By the way, after installing the Windows operating system, the first drivers you should install would be the motherboard Chipset Drivers.
Then device drivers after that.

Best Regards
Thanks again …dough… I've got it up and going sort of by doing part 1… Here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

I''m not feeling to well today so I'm going to do part 2 and 3 tomorrow!! Thanks for the info on Dell I am going to late him know. I believe he said he bought it new in 2002..I got the chip-set drivers and audio drivers form dell's site.The dvd-cdrom drivers weren't for the lite-on-drive thats in it? Still have to check out the video card or is it on-board?? Can't remember? Right now the op-drive isn't recognized by the OS …. Guessing it's because I've not finished the 3 part process? I will post again after I Finnish part 2 & 3… :wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI