This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Explorer Crashing with Memory error

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Help :rant2: I am at my wits end with this one. This is my first paste so am new to this forum but a pretty experienced PC man. Whenever I run a CD or a memory stick or an SD card on my PC I get the Explorer.exe (once it was hidden window fax.exe) error: The instruction at "0x7c911e58" referenced memory at "0x00000000". the memory could not be read. I have run ewido, error killer, regscrubxp, easycleaner and a few others and have not been able to get a conclusion to this. I don't see any of the powerreg.exe stuff that seems to be picked up on other machines posted in this forum nor can I find iefilter.exe. I have cleaned the prefetch stuff. I even screwed my print spooler by quarantining lexbce.exe as recommended by ewido. I havent a clue where to go now….. I have run hijackthis and have a log - here is the header. I wont post the whole thing coz you say don't until told Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 23:01:47, on 03/04/2006 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Ok, you need a Windows Installation cd or an image of one burnt onto your harddrive somewere. Then Put the cd in click on start, then run, type cmd and click ok. At the prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This may take a bit to run, and may NOT solve the problem but its a good place to start. SFC (System File Checker) will replace/repair system files if there corrupt. Post back afterwards and let us know.
Thanks for coming back quickly. Did as you said ran sfc…came back with no commenst after it checked all the protected files (took agaes). Loaded a CD an I imediatley got a Windows Explorer Crash. Ended the program. Went to MyComputer and started browsing a CD…. got same memory error. Incidentally had a look at the output from the hiJackthis run. there appears to be at least 4 versions of C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe under processes running - is this correct?
Do you have another cd-rom/rw drive…? if so throw it in, if not for anything but to elliminate the possibility of the cd drive being bad
Thanks for coming back quickly. I think i can elimiate the Cd drive quickly on this one. I have a second drive in the machine (I have a dvd drive and a dvd writer. I can easily recreate the proble with the second drive. I can also recreate the problem using Sd cards and memory sticks.
Further information on this issue. This is a shared family PC. I have tried two other log ins and followed the same approach to reading a CD and a memory stick. It appears that only my login session has the memory read error. There is obviously something in my set up. I will try running a Hijackthis script on the other two logins and look for difference.
SOME MORE INFORMATION. Have compared 3 hijack this reports from 3 logins. There is very little difference between the three. Some areas that I have noticed include: In Running processes I have C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe that dont appear in the other two outputs. One of the her logins also uses itunes and my script and that script have a reference to otO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe" yet in the above Running process ituneselper.exe does not appear as a running process. In the section on R1-023 My login has R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost Any other differences in this section refer to Internet Explorer\main deafault _page_url these are probably okay. Given that the main difference between logins that dont have an issue and the one that does is related to itunes helper I am tempted to stop that process and see if it works. Does anyone know of any issues with ituneshelper.exe? this doesnt appear in the other reports.
Process File: iTunesHelper or iTunesHelper.exe
Process Name: Apple Itunes

Description:
iTunesHelper.exe is a process belonging to Itunes MP3 streaming tool by Apple, which allows you to play MP3's. This process speeds up iTunes when it starts, and the program also monitors for connected iPod devices. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference
Thanks Juliet - disabling it had no effect the error message. However I got a a Windows Explorer Crash and so I sent the error report to Microsoft. The web page came back regarding Explorer Addons. I have started disabling them. i have disabled 3 Browser helper Objects 1 from Adobe and two from Symantec. I have also diabled two toolbars YT (Yahoo) and HP. I have disabled 3 Brwser Extensions. Sun Java Console, Windows Messenger and one called Research!. I have a Norton Anti virus Toolbar and a symantec Web assistant tool bar and a Macro media shockwave extension still runnning…..and guess what i am still getting those bloody crashes. Am now trying Microsoft Live Safety Scan…..more to follow. Anybody help………
I'm having the same probs. but my issues affect more than just one program. I get the same Instruction at (blah blah) memory could not be read error so far I have gotten it as a rundll32,… isuspm.exe,… taskmgr …quicken 2003 ….all are application errors and on RYLpote client. I suspect that all these programs use the same support program somewhere and it is making them all bomb.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI