This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Help with HTJ Log

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys,
I'm new here, but not a total n00b… so I hope I posted this in the correct area, if not then I'm sorry and I hope the mods will move it for me. I was told this is a Hijacker issue, but I'm not sure if or which one it is…

I run Windows XP Pro SP2 with all of the updates, Avast and Sygate Pro firewall and avoid 99% of everything (or so I thought, maybe I am a noob)…

anyways just recently, last few weeks, I'm getting the iexplorer.exe pop up window that says
The instruction at "0x7c911e58' referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". (or Read?)
or
The instruction at "0x7c911525' referenced memory at "0x00040000". The memory could not be "written".

I did a repair install of windows hoping that would fix the problem…. no luck there.
I did a boot time run of Avast and the problem is still here.

So I searched the net and found a help forum where a guy was having this issue, they told him to run HiJack This and post his log on one of these forums and see what the forum experts said to do…

I also checked my event log and it says something about not having sufficient priviledges to access the program or whatever… which is good… probably means Avast is blocking it or something, but the hijacker probably isn't working.

here is my HiJack This log…

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:08:06 AM, on 2/26/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
C:\PROGRA~2\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost\Agent\GhostTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
C:\PROGRA~2\Ahead\NEROPH~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\UltraTV\QuickTV.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Big Daddy\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5321E378-FFAD-4999-8C62-03CA8155F0B3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~2\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HGTXPEI] C:\WINDOWS\System32\FirstReboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RivaTunerStartupDaemon] "C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.0 RC 15.6\RivaTuner.exe" /S
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~2\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AnyDVD] C:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Ghost 9.0] C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost\Agent\GhostTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RaidTool] C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~2\Ahead\NEROPH~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Global Startup: office.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickTV.lnk = C:\Program Files\UltraTV\QuickTV.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~2\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~2\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwe…tup1.0.0.15.cab
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O21 - SSODL: IEFilter - {4C4AC81C-DC9C-429B-8B46-D7CCCBBD93F2} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFilter.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: GEARSecurity - GEAR Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost\Agent\PQV2iSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Data Service (SandraDataSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1\RpcDataSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Service (SandraTheSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1\RpcSandraSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe


Just wanted to say that I just realized the IE is running in the background!
This should NOT be happening, right?!!? I use FireFox exclusively have not started iexplorer.exe…

I manually ended the process in the Task Manager for the 2 instances of iexplorer.exe…

but just noticed that it keeps reappearing… btw, forgot to mention that the avast script blocker screen keeps popping up as well… it just now popped up while I had my Windows Task Manager up and right after the Avast script blocker is activeated I notice iexplorer.exe back in the Task Manager again… I end the process in Task Manager,then the senario repeats itself…

To Clarify:
I open Windows Task Mangaer and manually end process for every instance of iexplorer.exe…
I wait 1 to 2 minutes…
The Avast script blocker window pops up (to show it is being activated)
within 10 seconds there is a new instance of iexplorer.exe in the Task Manager again.
I manually end iexplorer.exe process and the situation repeats itself.


so something is defineately going on here, but Avast is atleast stopping it…

What I've done:
I ran msconfig, and found PowerReg Scheduler.exe running at startup…

turns out that is installed with PowerQuest's Partition Magic 8, and is considered by more than one site to be spyware that collects personal user data and starts a file on you, as well as giving annoying popups to make you register…. and yeah the problem started about the same time that I installed Partition Magic…
this did NOT fix the problem
the problem has been getting worse.

TIA, anyhelp is appreciated
Hello and welcome to TomCoyote forum. You have a couple of nasties, but this is your trojan:
O21 - SSODL: IEFilter - {4C4AC81C-DC9C-429B-8B46-D7CCCBBD93F2} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFilter.dll
It must be fairly new, not much information about it, but: http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojsrchspya.html Look at the tabs, especially advanced and you will see it.

This: O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwe…tup1.0.0.15.cab is some real junk too: http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/we…3/1208web2.html

Let's do a little checking to make sure nothing it there HJT is not seeing, do this in the posted order:

1) Move HJT from the Desktop for safety. I prefer C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe, if you need additional instructions use these: http://russelltexas.com/malware/createhjtfolder.htm

2) ewido scan:
Please download Ewido Security Suite it is a trial version of the program.
  • Install ewido security suite
  • Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
  • The program will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Then click on Start Update
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update Ewido.
Ewido manual updates

Once the updates are installed do the following:
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • NOTE: During some scans with ewido it is finding cases of false positives.**
    • You will need to step through the process of cleaning files one-by-one.
    • If ewido detects a file you KNOW to be legitimate, select none as the action.
    • DO NOT select "Perform action on all infections"
    • If you are unsure of any entry found select none for now.
  • Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report.
  • Save the report .txt file to your desktop.
Now close ewido security suite.
**(Ewido for example has been flagging parts of AVG Anti-Virus, pcAnywhere and the game "Risk")

3) Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5321E378-FFAD-4999-8C62-03CA8155F0B3} - (no file)
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwe…tup1.0.0.15.cab
O21 - SSODL: IEFilter - {4C4AC81C-DC9C-429B-8B46-D7CCCBBD93F2} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFilter.dll

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

4) Enable hidden files&folders..reverse the process when finished.
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

RIGHT Click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete these items:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\IEFilter.dll >>> file (if it is there)

C:\Windows\Prefetch\ >>> delete the contents (NOT THE FOLDER)
Prefetch info: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_…refetch-XP.html

5) If you don't have a good cleaner, use this one with these instuctions:
Download CCleaner from this link: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Review the instructions http://www.ccleaner.com/help/tour1.asp
Run CCleaner, Windows & Applications when you run the registry cleaner (Issues) you will be prompted to backup before you can remove stuff, make sure you do.

Restart the computer and post the ewido scan results, a new HJT log and any feedback you think will help.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Expert Member
Thank you so much.. yes.. I had already received help and fixed the problem… btw… I did exactly what you suggested, so you obviously knew what to do.. IEFilter.dll was defineately the offending file… I ran ewido and many others… I cleaned out image farm and lots of other stuff.. but the eventual fix came from… 1. booting to safe mode… 2. Having HiJack This Fix IEFilter.dll…. 3. Then Manually deleteing C:/windows/system32/IEFilter.dll 4. Empting recycle bin… 5. and rebooting… thx for the help!
If you would like a final check to make sure you are clean, I would be glad to do that for you if:

Restart the computer and post the ewido scan results, a new HJT log and any feedback you think will help.

If you are satified you have no issues, here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html
http://cybercoyote.org/security/not-admin.shtml

I will give you a couple of days to post before I close the topic.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Expert Member
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher,
If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI