Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Red Rooster

Red Rooster

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

When I click on IE it comes up fine. If I minimize it and click on IE again, the original IE is replaced with the latest click. This also happens when I click on a link that is supposed to open in a new window. The original page is replaced by the current page and the original seems to have been closed out. Thank you in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,686 posts
  • Interests:Boo!....
  • MVP

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:25 PM

Try this.......From IE....go to Tools,....then Internet Options

Advanced
Browsing
Unncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, WI-MVP 2016-17
Antivirus Scanners Online Scanners Firewalls Slow Computer??

#3 Red Rooster

Red Rooster

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the response! I tried it but still have the same problem. Any other suggestions?

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

Some folks have guessed that this problem is caused by a "popup blocker" or spyware. Not likely.

Have you installed the Yahoo ToolBar?
Uninstall it. That will fix the problem in most instances.

If not, you can consider the following "unproven" solution.

The actual file causing this problem may be "winshow.dll".

The posted recommendation is to delete the winshow.dll file.
But if you are "uncomfortable" with that drastic of a solution, then consider just moving the file via cut/paste to a temporary folder. Then you can run your IE for a while to see if you are satisfied with the result. If not, you can cut/paste the winshow.dll file back to its original location.

Or just use the "Search" function to find "winshow.dll" and delete/move it.

In Win XP you will find "winshow.dll" at C:\Windows\System32\winshow.dll
In Win 98 you will find "winshow.dll" at C:\Windows\System\winshow.dll

People who are not having the problem of IE being limited to only one window at a time will not have "winshow.dll" in their system.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,686 posts
  • Interests:Boo!....
  • MVP

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

Hiya Doug!
Good advice.....Have read where the pop up blocker causes problems.
Or you can try a Repair or Return to Previous Internet Explorer Installation found here at Microsoft
How to Repair or Return to Previous Internet Explorer Installation

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, WI-MVP 2016-17
Antivirus Scanners Online Scanners Firewalls Slow Computer??

#6 Red Rooster

Red Rooster

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

My step-daughter installed the yahoo toolbar last night. I deleted it (didn't uninstall) this morning. That's when I noticed the issue. Of course, I didn't put the two together. I ran a search for the yahoo toolbar and it found nothing. I also ran a search for the winshow.dll and it found nothing again. Any suggestions as to what to look for to fix it, now that you all have figured out where the problem began?

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:03 PM

Re-install Yahoo ToolBar, then Uninstall it via Add/Remove or its own native uninstall tool. (may be called "unwise.exe") in the Yahoo ToolBar Folder. But Add/Remove should be sufficient. Do you have any other "popup blockers"? If so, they "could" be involved but that would really be a low probability. By the way, instead of having a "dedicated popup blocker" I run Google ToolBar which has one included, in addition to the other benefits of Google Toolbar. Best Regards

#8 Red Rooster

Red Rooster

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:35 AM

Thank you two so very much! Problem solved. Now if you only had suggestions as to how to break my step-daughter's habit of downloading carp** on MY computer, I would be set. Thanks again!

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:49 AM

Parental involvement is the first, best, most reliable medium for teaching good Internet practices.
There are no parental-control, router limiting settings, or timers, that substitute for good parenting.
And getting involved with your child's Internet use as a parent can be one of the most exciting, rewarding, and frustrating experiences of your relationship with your child. Computers seem to be a fact of life for kids these days and we parents will do best by involving ourselves side-by-side with them. That doesn't mean, long hours sitting supervising. Rather, "checking-in" to observe, answer questions, and ask questions about your child's activity. You'll probably learn a thing or two in the process as well.

One of the very best resources available for "teaching" about Internet hazards is the instructional CD from PCPitstop.com titled "Safe-Surfing". The "Safe-Surfing" CD provides real examples of popups, bogus downloads, ActiveX hazards, phishing schemes, and phony certificates of authenticity, and give step-by-step instructions for how to handle each hazard. I've given dozens of copies of "Safe-Surfing" to parents who have the same questions that you do.

You can find "Safe-Surfing" at PCPitstop.com Store for about $14.95, last time I checked. Well Worth It!
http://pcpitstop.com...safesurfing.asp

While you are at PCPitstop, take a look at their home page and explore the several excellent articles about Online Hazards that have been written to assist user/owners and parents like yourself when you confront new scams and schemes. It's a good read for you, and you can share/teach from the articles as well as from the "Safe-Surfing" CD.

Glad you got your problem sorted out. :)

Best Regards