Dark,
Will you please run a fresh PCPitstop Full Test and post your new TechExpress.
That will give us the current functioning of your machine to assure the basics are covered.
Best Regards
Nice improvements Dark!
Thanks for posting the Results.
Actually looks like you are "good to go".
I would follow the recommendation to "change internet explorer Max Cache" size
I keep mine at 80mb.
What is the "disabled Device"?
Best Regards
I doubt you did this on purpose?
Items below in Bold should be changed.
Setting name …………………………Value
Video acceleration disabled…………. No Paging of kernel disabled………..Yes
Screen saver running during tests… No
NOIDE key found in registry …………No
Running 32-bit code on 64-bit Windows.. No
System Restore disabled……………. No Large System Cache enabled…… No
Has batteries …………………………….No
Hibernate enabled ……………………..No
HIBERFIL.SYS present…………………. No
Hibernate policy in use………………… No
Sleep/Resume policy in use …………..Yes
Running on battery power ……………..No
Paging Kernel……… Also known as Swap File or Virtual Memory……. is a feature that allows Windows to utilize additional space on your Hard Drive to simulate RAM, when physically installed RAM is exhausted.
In Explorer, Right-click on My Computer
Select Properties
On the System Properties screen Select the Advanced Tab
on the Performance Options screen read down to Virtual Memory and Select "Change"
You currently have "No paging file" selected……….Not good.
Mark "Custom Size", then type into initial size: 1536 and just below that type in Maximum size: 1536
Press "Set"
Then Press OK, and OK, OK as you close the System Properties screens.
Enable Large System Cache
In Device Manager click on Disk Drives, and then double-click on the Driver
On the "Policies" tab, place a checkmark in front of : Enable write Caching on the disk
Click on OK, OK, etc. as you close Device Manager.
The above should allow better performance of all applications, though you may not notice any change in "speed" of performance…. Your applications will have less tendency to hang or get stuck and close.
Okay, I set my cache size down to 80MB (was over 1 GB before, lol) and I set my paging file to 1536, but when I checked, my system cache was enabled
-Dark
Good Work Dark.
I'm checking on the "large system Cache" item and will get back to you.
Best Regards
Edit: Please leave this item as it is. I keep forgetting you're running Win 2000.
After a week or so of running, we can revisit this, but it may be best to leave it.
The issue relates to how you use your machine… as a desktop or as a server.
What happens is in the allocation of memory resources.
Perhaps you'd be willing to post back to this thread in a week or so with news and status of your machine's functioning over time. ?
I'll be glad to follow-up at that time.
Best Regards