This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

MS Paint not working

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

Until a few days ago when I clicked on Edit picture icon on Windows Picture and Fax viewer, it would open MS Paint but not any more. MS Paint is still in C:WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and when I click on its icon there it works and allows me to open a picture in it but it does not come on by itself anymore when I click on Edit icon in Windows Picture and Fax viewer. MS Paint is also in C:WINDOWS\system32 but doesn't open when I click on the MS Paint icon from that folder.

I have tried changing the default image editor to MS Paint according to the following link but without success:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm

The SystemFileAssociations key does not exist in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT Registry in my computer, and the imgeditor.zip does not fix the problem.

Can you please help ?

Regards,

Tanveer
I found the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ SystemFileAssociations \ image \ shell \ edit \ command in the registry and on the right side in the Data Column I see the following: "%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1" MS Paint now opens up when I click on the mspaint icon in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and does not open when I click on the icon in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. However when I click on the edit icon in the Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer while viewing a picture, it closes but MS Paint still does not open as the default image editor and nothing happens. How can I make MS Paint open as the default image editor when I click on the edit icon in Picture and Fax Viewer ?
Backing up a couple of steps to basics. Sorry if you've already considered this. Have you recently installed other graphic utilities that may have asked to become the default viewer for specific file extension types, thereby pre-empting MSPaint? You may benefit from looking in Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - File Types (tab) Then scroll through the list to identify the file types that you wish to open with MSPaint and be sure that MSPaint is set as the Default program to open the file type you select. Best Regards
I installed Irfanview AFTER MS Paint wont open after clicking on edit icon from Microsoft Picture Viewer. Right now Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer is the default program to view the picture files. What I want is for MS Paint to be the default image editor for MS Picture Viewer. Previously when I used to click on edit icon in MS Picture Viewer, MS Paint used to open but now when I click on the edit icon, the MS Picture Viewer closes and then nothing happens and MS Paint does not open.
try going to Tools->Folder Options->File Types and search for the types of images you're trying to open and click on it. Then, in the details for for that type of file, click Change and change the the program you want to open it with to MS Paint. Hope this helps! -Dark
I could not find MS Picture Viewer in the Tools -> Folder options -> File Types. All my images are being opened by MS Picture Viewer right now and I am ok with that. All I want is that when I click on the edit icon in MS Picture Viewer, for it to close and the image to open in MS Paint as my default image editor. It used to be like that until recently but now MS Paint does not open when I want to edit images from MS Picture Viewer.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI