This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Audio playback woes

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello again lovely Coyote boys and girls :) . Over the last couple of days my pc has started to play audio imperfectly :( . I don't know the technical term but the playback is jumpy - a bit like on an old, worn video tape, if you know what I mean.

This applies to:

i/ both existing audio files that I had stored on my hard drive prior to its manifestation and those I've downloaded since then
ii/ is the same with video files
iii/ as well as CD Roms played from the CD Rom drive
iv/ and is manifested in both WMP and Real Player
v/ as well as with streaming radio.

I suffered the Blue Screen of Death a few days ago and this audio playback problem has manifested since then. I don't know if it's relevent or not but thought I should mention it.

I don't know enough of the tech side of things to work out what's causing the problem and how I can fix it but hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

I hadn't enjoyed the delights of the lovely B.S.O.D before so it re-ocurred before I managed to get my pc back to normal. The second B.S.O.D. incident occured whilst I was defragging. At first I thought that this had damaged the existing audio files stored on my hard drive but doesn't explain to me the other manifestations of this problem.

So any and all help would be much appreciated. I don't mind admitting that I found the whole B.S.O.D. matter very upsetting as I didn't know what to do and thought I might have to pack up my pc as I wouldn't be able to afford the exorbitant engineer call-out costs involved to fix it. So after all that trauma ;) I could do without this frankly!

Oh and once I managed to get the pc working in safe mode I ran full scans with all my anti-malware apps and they all came up clean. For your info they are: Spybot, Adaware, AVG anti virus, A Squared and ewido.

I just went to open Hijack This to add the header to this draft post as requested but can't find it on my pc! I'm sure I didn't remove it previously - why would I?! Am now wondering if malware has done this to prevent me getting help from lovely people like you?! Why would all my scans come up clean though? They were all updated manually just hours before the first B.S.O.D. and have all been updated several times since!

Hi reformed_fanboy,


Hi Jayzeee - thanks for the reply :) .

Have you tried updating your motherboard/audio/video card drivers?


No because according to Windows XP Device Manager all those aspects are working properly :huh: .

Um, how do I update them? :unsure:
This thread can now be locked and moved to the solved forum thanks. I wasn't able to sort out my audio problems but the hard drive itself started playing up until it completely died. I have a new hard drive with which the audio is fine.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI