Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:28:43 PM, on 3/1/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
I was working with KEN545 in the spyware forum and he suggested i post here.
My computer shuts down I can make it do it by running adaware the progress modules goes to 800+ and it shuts down soon after. Once I got CHKDSK verifying files and correcting error in file $130 for file 4012 and file 21152 and many others. Next it said recovering orphaned files. Then Active desktop recovery. One other thing was security.exe corrupt file please run CHKDSK utility. Hope some of this makes sense and you can help. Mike
theres lots of reasons why a computer may reboot, (other than malware) did you try running ad aware, antivirus in safe mode? check for updates to both first. you are also lacking critical updates/patches for your OS, visit windows updates. you reach safe mode by tapping the f8 key during a computer restart, chose the first option safe mode.
Yes I just run ad aware in safe mode and it found 11 and fixed. I will update OS with SP2. When in safer mode ad aware process modules was around 358 but when i run out of safe it goes up above 850 does that tell you anything.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:44:36 PM, on 3/2/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
I got thr OS updates. Yes i ran antivirus in safe.
yes,it just randomly shuts down. Its hours but is it random. it starts back up ok most of the time, sometimes active desktop recovery. thanks for helping mike
the active desktop recovery is most likely due to the improper shutdown of the pc.
you could try to get a blue screen of death, which would display a error msg, which may or maynot be helpful:
Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Uncheck "Automatically restart" and set memory dump to None.
Hopefully, you'll get a blue-screen error with a message next time, instead of the shut down. if its already unchecked then i would suggest poking around in your computer if you are comfortable doing that………..
Hi thanks for the help. Before I go for the blue screen of death, I found this in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer Error Source DCOM. I think this is what happened on two shutdowns.
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {EFFA8CA5-3839-11D5-A9DB-0010B5439657}. The error:
"The system cannot find the file specified. "
Happened while starting this command:
C:\PROGRA~1\HPCENT~1\137903\Program\BACKWE~1.EXE -Embedding
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
hi rmbas,
that looks like some app from HP that came with your computer? that log actually said "Happened while starting this command:"
if thats the case look in add/remove program files and see if you can find a app like that, or look in:
C:\PROGRA~1\HPCENT
c;program files\hpcenter….backweb
just about all the apps that ship with commercial computers are not needed and surely arent needed at startup. you could disable it using msconfig utility, once you identify the program.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI