Hello. I reformatted a while ago. Everything went smoothly except for the fact that my Linksys Wireless-B card did not connect me to the internet. I tried doing stuff right off the cd that came with the card, but its as if my laptop does not recognize the card. I put the card in and it makes the ding sound that the internet is down and doesnt connect.
The specs to my laptop are pentium 4 3.06, nvidia 64mb, and 512 memory if its needed to be known. I don't know what else to try. Right now I am directly connected to the modem to be able to use the internet.
IS THE CARD RECOGNIZED IN THE DEVICE MANAGER?IF SO DOES IT SAY THE CARD IS WORKING PROPERLY AND THE DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED?
RIGHT CLICK ON MY COMPUTER->PROPERTIES->HARDWARE->DEVICE MANAGER MY CARD SHOWS UP UNDER NETWORK ADAPTERS
- ALSO WHAT IS THE MAKE AND MODEL OF THE WIRELESS ROUTER YOU ARE USING?HAVE YOU TRIED REBOOTING THE ROUTER? UNPLUGG IT AND WAIT 30 SECONDS THEN PLUG BACK IN AND WAIT A BIT THEN TRY TO CONNECT.
right where my hard drive is theres a card slot where i put the wireless card and i think it doesnt recognize the driver of the card slot. when it did work (before i reformatted) when i put in my card it did a recognizing bing and now it does the reject sound.
my router is linksys wireless-b 2.4ghz 802.11b
and in the device manager under network adapter it says
1394 net adaptor and broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller
I also have underneath the network adapter
PCMCIA, which has Texas Instruments PCI-4510 CardBus Controller
I have tried rebooting, doing the whole process which did not work
SO THE LAPTOP IS NOT RECOGNIZING THE CARD AT ALL. ALTHOUGH THE CARD SHOULD BE PLUG AND PLAY,WE CAN TRY TO "MAKE" XP RECOGNIZE THE CARD. GO TO START->CONTROL PANEL->ADD HARDWARE AND USE THE WIZARD TO TRY AND GET THE DRIVER INSTALLED ON THE LAPTOP. NEXT THING TO TRY IS TO LET THE LAPTOP BOOT UP WITH THE CARD PULLED OUT.THEN AFTER ALL HARD DRIVE ACTIVITY HAS STOPPED (AFTER A MINUTE OR 2)PUSH THE CARD IN AND SEE IF IT ATTEMPTS TO INSTALL DRIVER.ONLY OTHER THING TO TRY THAT I KNOW IS TO TRY THE CARD IN ANOTHER LAPTOP TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOTHING HARDWARE RELATED ALTHOUGH IN MY EXPERIENCE IT IS USUALLY SOFTWARE RELATED.
GOOD LUCK
ty TY thx THX thank you THANK YOU
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is back up, thaks to you. I just followed what you said and it worked, quite smoothly I must say.