Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

I can't run antivirus and Hijack This

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kaorirose

Kaorirose

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

I've been getting the following messages for the past day... VCMain.exe and VCClient.exe Application Errors- "The application failed to initialze properly (0xc0000135). Click OK to terminate. I am also getting messages about damage to my registry and to go to some website so these messages would stop. I did hit ok when I get registry damage pop ups but it seems to do nothing. Anyway, I tried using my Antivirus but it won't run and neither will Hijack This. What do I do? It also shuts down unexpectedly.

Edited by Kaorirose, 05 February 2006 - 07:21 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

Hello Kaorirose,

VCMain.exe and VCClient.exe are common components of "SurfSideKick" a registered "adware" that should be removed.

Here is a fix procedure offered by Grinler over at Bleeping Computers.
http://www.bleepingc...html#entry60909
This is a reliable procedure from a well respected Senior expert in the anti-malware field.
HOWEVER, You should decide for yourself whether or not you want to undertake the repair without an Expert HJT advisor. Clearly, it is a "simple" use of HJT, but any unintended use of HJT can cause you serious difficulties.
****If you are not "Completely Comfortable" undertaking this procedure, then Post over in the HJT Forum and include a note regarding the linked information.

It is "most likely" that since you have this identified adware/malware, that you could also have other malware. The symptom of Not Being Able to Run HJT, is not typically "caused" by SurfSideKick.

If you do complete the above linked fix, then you should also run other legitimate anti-virus and anti-spyware utilities such as:
Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.6
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
and the Anti-Virus that you have already installed.

First update your tools, (or download and update if you don't already have them)
Now reboot your computer into SAFE Mode.
To get to SAFE Mode, restart your computer and immediately start tapping F8 until the Boot Menu Screen appears. use your up and down arrows to select SAFE Mode and then run your scans, allowing each to remove/fix items that it identifies. (if you have any question about removing an item, then use google, or post back here to help identify the item to be removed.)

Now Run some Online Scans, at least the following:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

When using the Ewido free scan please be aware that Ewido may identify items that are not Malware,
For instance Ewido tends to identify parts of AVG Anti-Virus, pcAnywhere and the game "Risk".
*****If ewido detects a file you KNOW to be legitimate, select none as the action.

Post the Log from each of these scans in your next reply to this thread so we can have a look and make any additional necessary recommendation.

If you decide that you don't want to try the recommendation listed above, then please consider Posting a HJT log over in the HJT Forum. Please read the "How to post a log in HJT Forum" pinned post information before posting your log.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.