This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Lavasoft Ad-Aware

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Today I tried to run Ad-Aware (whatever the newest version was) and my windows went to the setting "Classic Windows" hung for a moment, and tne took my to a play screen with a message similar to this: System has stoped code : c000021A {Fatal System Error} Right before it restarted, Spybots TeaTimer thing popped up with a registery value change, and my computer restarted. As I can tell, this only happens when running Ad-Aware. Anyone know anything about this? -Karamazov
Hi, Karamazov. This is the first time I've seen that particular situation. In fact, AAW wouldn't be making a registry value change during scanning. A few questions . . . Are you connected to the internet while scanning? What other programs are running at the time? Do you have the rest of the error message besides the stop code?
Dunno if it will help (from adaware support): "There are a number of possible reasons behind this problem. To correct: * First, update to Build 1.06 and download the latest definition file if you have not done so. * Second, it is highly recommended that you run a disk defragmentation on your computer, then a thorough “Check” or “Scan Disk” depending on your Windows version. Try scanning in safe mode. * Third, start Ad-Aware scan from the Windows command line. Do as follows: o Click "Start", then "Run". Next, type the text shown below (including the quotation marks and with the same spacing as shown) for your version of Ad-Aware SE: "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Professional\Ad-Aware.exe" /full +procnuke "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Aware.exe" /full +procnuke "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe" +procnukep o Click “OK”. o Note: The path above (between the quotes) is the default location of Ad-Aware SE. If you installed your Ad-Aware to a different directory, adjust the path accordingly. For Ad-Aware SE Personal, when the GUI launches, click “Start”, then “Full System Scan”. Click “Next”, then “OK”. o When the scan is complete, select “Next”. In the “Scanning Results” window, select the "Scan Summary" tab. Check the box next to each "target family" you wish to remove, then click “Next”, then OK”."

Hi, Karamazov. This is the first time I've seen that particular situation. In fact, AAW wouldn't be making a registry value change during scanning. A few questions . . . Are you connected to the internet while scanning? What other programs are running at the time? Do you have the rest of the error message besides the stop code?






Yes, I am connected to the internet, and I'm protected bya Sygate Personal Firewall.. Usually Trillian, Antivir, Steam, WinAmp, Pest Patrol Terminal thingy, Motherboard Moniter, and TeaTimer.

As for the message, the numbers and letters all looked about the same, but I did copy this one down as well

0x0000005.


Thing is, I've done probably hundreds of scans with all or more than that stuff running, and this is the first time this has happend. Ad-Aware usally gets to "One Item Found" before TeaTimer comes up with a registry value change, and the computer restarts.

I thought maybe it was due to a virus, so I ran a full system scan with AntiVir, and PC-Cillian online scan, and they found nothing. I also ran Spybot and it found and deleted it's usual stuff. In addditon, while doing these scans, I was doing many other things. And somehow I doubt that Ad-Aware demands more of my system resourses doing a quick scan than AntiVir does doing a full scan lol.

And yes, all of those programs mentioned are fully updated.
Ok, so I ran it in safe mode, and again, it got to 1 thingy found, and it resarted. I noticed another user with the same problem.. Also, when I started windows normall after it restarted itself, windows came up with its usal "windows has encountered and error. Send, or dont send" I clicked dont send, but the error came up as "Winlogon" I dont know if this makes any diffeence at all.. Lets see. Oh, a while ago, I started getting those same type of messeases, except it came from something called Dr…. Something something something dubugger.. I dont know if the two are related. And…. I cant think of anything else.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI