I use Ad-Aware/Ad-Watch SE Plus for my antispyware. I had a problem with it updating definitions today. Everytime, it seems, that I do a scan it wants to update definitions(definitions 29 days old would you like to update?). Sure why not. Well today, there was an error retrieving the update.
I think I've heard of this before. I just can't remember what caused it and what to do about it.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
The standard fix for these sort of problems however is to uninstall the programmes, close down your computer and wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen and then reinstall the Programmes
(make sure you have the discs, serial number/product licence key or/and executable file before you start…..also create a new System Restore point)
Start/Programmes/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore
Regards
paws
Paws
First sorry It's taken so long to respond.
Second
The standard fix for these sort of problems however is to uninstall the programmes, close down your computer and wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen and then reinstall the Programmes
(make sure you have the discs, serial number/product licence key or/and executable file before you start…..also create a new System Restore point)
I tried this with no results except instead of my definitions being 30 something days old, they are now 1000+ days old.
Oh well…
I tried
"removed the line I had added to my HOSTS file and resaved it.
uninstalled my just recently downloaded version of Ad-Aware SE from my system.
reinstalled the newly "patched" Ad-Aware SE program installation file.
launched it and checked for updates."
from the link on your last post.
It worked for him but still not me. Definitions were then 400+ days old, and still won't update. Also that download doesn't install add-watch.
I want to try this next
"So I just browsed to my HOSTS file located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS and opened it with notepad.
Then I added the following line into it: 82.99.19.11 download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net
I saved the HOSTS file, then relaunched Ad-Aware SE and tried an update.
Bam. Got the whole thing.
Problem solved, simply!
No DNS server changes, no more DNS flushing, no malware, nada.
The Ad-Aware SE updates are automatically flowing again!"
I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I'm sure I 'll figure it out.
If not I still got you
I'll let you know if it works out.
Well, that was a failure. Perhaps I didn't do it right?
I'll see if I can manually download the update.
In the mean time I think I could use some more help.
I contacted Lavasoft. They won't help me unless I renew my license.
So I thought screw it I'll just download Spybot S&D. At install it tries to "download additioinal files" but fails as well and therefore will not install.
PC is slowing down and PCpitstop says I have something like 26 traking cookies already. Who knows what else.
and to top it all off I forgot to create a restore point when I started. Oh yeah baby I'm on a roll.
Hi Amebeo,
Since you're on a roll, how about rolling over to our Malware Removal Forum and posting a HJT Log.
Our Experts will help you with a few advanced tools to clear out any bad-guys, and/or confirm that none exist on your machine.
Then we can take another shot at the download/install/update sequence.
There are some steps you can take with Windows Uninstall Utility, but better to be clear of malware first.
You can post back into this same Thread when you've completed in the Malware Forum.
Best Regards.