veejay
Topic Starter
For the past few years, instead of installing Service Pack 1, I simply installed each of the patches and updates individually. Today I finally installed SP1. It was a relatively small download (only 2MB) because most of the patches were already installed.
As I was installing SP1 I noticed the screen message informed me it was creating a Restore Point.
After the installation was complete and I re-booted, I opened up System Restore to examine the System Restore "Calendar" which shows the exact date and time of each and every Restore Point.
I was very surprized to see that ALL of my System Restore Points have been erased. In fact, there is not even a System Restore Point from when I installed the SP1 (although the message box during the installation of SP1 said it was creating one for me). When I open the System Restore and ask to "Restore to a Previous Restore Point" (and view the "Calendar", the message box says I have "NO RESTORE POINTS".
Typically I have dozens of Restore Points noted on the System Restore "Calendar". Some Restore Points I have initiated myself…and others are automatically installed when I install a large program or make some other major change.
I am now able to create new Restore Points and a new point was created when I made a minor change to my Registry. I also verified System Restore is properly working by viewing it’s properties in Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> System Tools -> and I saw that System Restore is running properly. I also verified this again by running CMD in the control box and entering “Net Start”. So System restore is working…but here’s the big question:
Why have all of my previous System Restore Points disappeared immediately after installing SP1.
Any suggestions ? Should I uninstall SP1 since it was such a small download (most of the patches were already in place).
Thanks for any advise or suggestions.
As I was installing SP1 I noticed the screen message informed me it was creating a Restore Point.
After the installation was complete and I re-booted, I opened up System Restore to examine the System Restore "Calendar" which shows the exact date and time of each and every Restore Point.
I was very surprized to see that ALL of my System Restore Points have been erased. In fact, there is not even a System Restore Point from when I installed the SP1 (although the message box during the installation of SP1 said it was creating one for me). When I open the System Restore and ask to "Restore to a Previous Restore Point" (and view the "Calendar", the message box says I have "NO RESTORE POINTS".
Typically I have dozens of Restore Points noted on the System Restore "Calendar". Some Restore Points I have initiated myself…and others are automatically installed when I install a large program or make some other major change.
I am now able to create new Restore Points and a new point was created when I made a minor change to my Registry. I also verified System Restore is properly working by viewing it’s properties in Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> System Tools -> and I saw that System Restore is running properly. I also verified this again by running CMD in the control box and entering “Net Start”. So System restore is working…but here’s the big question:
Why have all of my previous System Restore Points disappeared immediately after installing SP1.
Any suggestions ? Should I uninstall SP1 since it was such a small download (most of the patches were already in place).
Thanks for any advise or suggestions.