This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help me stay clean

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I'm new here, and I think my computer is still clean. I've been looking for a topic that would help me stay that way, something like ( Software to install before you get infected ) Is all I have so far is Panda2006, and after looking around this forum I'm afraid thats not all I need. I use Firefox/1.6 with NoScript and try not to use IE at all. Can someone make a list of software that shoud be installed on a computer that is running on XP Pro SP2 Thanks for being here :thumbup:
I'd recommend AVG for Virus protection, Adaware and Spybot S&D for spyware, whtever browser u use, if u use the internet, You should have a firewall, i use Kerio Personal Firewall. For regular cleaning the windows disk cleanup is fine, even CCleaner is a nice utility and for defrag i use Diskeeper. You can try the 'Lite' version which is free. Registry cleaners can be used when needed.
Hi zepledin, I'm new here too :)

A few others to add to list (all free for personal use):

SpywareBlaster Prevents nasties from installing on your machine.

SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

IE-SpyAd This one is for Internet explorer, I know you said you use firefox, but you need IE for windows updates etc..and this will put over 5000 sites in your restricted zone.

CleanUP! An alternative to CCleaner as mentioned above, cleans out your Temp files.

Hope this is of some use :D
Hi Jayeee and orion, Thanks for the reply's Are any of these programs going to conflict with my AV Panda? And do you think I should install HiJackThis? Thanks again, Zepledin :)
Yes…only have one AV running and one firewall running as they can conflict You can install all the others, in fact adaware and spybot work well together.
OK, thats what I thought. I will download and install Spybot S&D and Adaware today, and check out the other programs also. Thanks again guys Zepledin

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI