Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Help me stay clean

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zepledin

zepledin

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

Hi all, I'm new here, and I think my computer is still clean. I've been looking for a topic that would help me stay that way, something like ( Software to install before you get infected ) Is all I have so far is Panda2006, and after looking around this forum I'm afraid thats not all I need. I use Firefox/1.6 with NoScript and try not to use IE at all. Can someone make a list of software that shoud be installed on a computer that is running on XP Pro SP2 Thanks for being here :thumbup:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 orion

orion

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

I'd recommend AVG for Virus protection, Adaware and Spybot S&D for spyware, whtever browser u use, if u use the internet, You should have a firewall, i use Kerio Personal Firewall. For regular cleaning the windows disk cleanup is fine, even CCleaner is a nice utility and for defrag i use Diskeeper. You can try the 'Lite' version which is free. Registry cleaners can be used when needed.

#3 Jayzeee

Jayzeee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:06 AM

Hi zepledin, I'm new here too :)

A few others to add to list (all free for personal use):

SpywareBlaster Prevents nasties from installing on your machine.

SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

IE-SpyAd This one is for Internet explorer, I know you said you use firefox, but you need IE for windows updates etc..and this will put over 5000 sites in your restricted zone.

CleanUP! An alternative to CCleaner as mentioned above, cleans out your Temp files.

Hope this is of some use :D

#4 zepledin

zepledin

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:37 AM

Hi Jayeee and orion, Thanks for the reply's Are any of these programs going to conflict with my AV Panda? And do you think I should install HiJackThis? Thanks again, Zepledin :)

#5 orion

orion

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:53 AM

Running two anti virus programs isnt a gud idea at all. ( in reply to whether Panda AV will clash with AVG that i suggested)

#6 Jayzeee

Jayzeee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

Yes...only have one AV running and one firewall running as they can conflict You can install all the others, in fact adaware and spybot work well together.

#7 zepledin

zepledin

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:23 PM

OK, thats what I thought. I will download and install Spybot S&D and Adaware today, and check out the other programs also. Thanks again guys Zepledin