Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

DSL information for safe surfing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Joyce

Bob Joyce

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

I am about to switch to DSL via SBC/Yahoo. While the set up of the external components seems pretty straight forward, there is little instruction as to protecting the system once I bring it up. Having been helped tremendously here before, and not wanting to further tax the staff here, I thought I'd ask a few questions before I fired the beast up. I hope this is the right place. The DSL equipment and instructions say to stay connected a minimum of 10 days to "set the system".My understanding is that this gives the outside world a driveway to my machine 24/7. I have 2000 Professional. I stay current with MS updates as much as possible. I have Norton AV Corporate Edition, and I use Zone Alarm (the free one). I do have access to Zone Alarm Pro through work if need be. Anything else I should know? Should I keep my dial up for a month or so, and can I bring it up with the DSL connected? I'll need to have access to some emails until I figure out what my new one will be. (SBC had no clue!) Thanks!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:24 PM

The DSL equipment and instructions say to stay connected a minimum of 10 days to "set the system".

This is "ramp-up" time. The way I understand it, the voltage is slowly increased to your modem over a period of ten days till it reaches the cap (cap in your case is more than likely 1500-downstream 300-upstream)

Anything else I should know?
Should I keep my dial up for a month or so, and can I bring it up with the DSL connected? I'll need to have access to some emails until I figure out what my new one will be. (SBC had no clue!)

Yes, there are a few things you need to be aware of. One: Although SBC is your provider, tech support you speak with is NOT SBC. If and when the time comes to renew your contract, you MUST keep an eye on your bandwidth (which you can do here at DSLreports.com) Hopefully they have this issue worked out by now but doubtful. They seem to like to sell you things but thier commitment to following through lacks...to say the least.

Also SBC's TOS has recently changed and you should peruse through it. I went with SBC for the freedom and security (security meaning a company thats been round for awhile) however it appears that "freedom" is about to be a thing of the past.

As far as keeping your dial up.. (this is a "freedom" I speak of here) ..theres really no need. Forward all of your mail to your new addy. Then if for some reason you can not get online with your DSL (which you shouldnt have a problem with) then simply create a dial-up connection using SBC's access number. There are plenty of which to choose. I dont know what area code you are in but you can use 817-698-3010 for the number in an emergency situation if need be. Only charges incurred should be long-distance if your out-side that area code.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 Bob Joyce

Bob Joyce

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

Thank you, Crow. Very much appreciated! I've "booked' the link you provided and will proceed there shortly. I've got to admit I look forward to being able to see CNN and other news reports in less than 10 minutes!

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:50 PM

DSLreports.com is an excellent link to track of. If you ever have any prob's with connection, thats your best bet there, as bad as I hate to say that. You would think SBC would provide good tech support. Which in way I guess they do really.. just.. if your not talking to a level 3 or higher tech... nothing will get done. At dsl reports they have techs that work FOR ISP's and can (and normally do) solve any issues right then.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"