This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Spywareguard Question

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Based on a suggestion in another thread, I downloaded and installed Spywareguard (I think). As it was installing, the system asked if I wanted an icon on the desktop. I indicated OK. There is now an icon for Spywareguard on my desktop, but double clicking on it does not bring up the program. Is this just a ptogram runing in the background, ot is it used to search a disk on command and I haven't really installed it correctly. I have looked in Task Manager and it doesn't indicate there that it is running, and I don't find it when I search my registry. Have I missed something?
jpcasill, I installed SpywareGuard awhile back & have 2 icons on my desktop - one for SpywareGuard & one for SpywareGuard LiveUpdate. Clicking on the SpywareGuard desktop shortcut doesn't appear to do anything. Clicking on the LiveUpdate desktop icon bring up an update window (which I haven't used). The way I am able to open the program is to right-click on the SG icon in the system tray. Then I use the Live Update button from there. BTW, there haven't been any updates to SpywareGuard since Jan 22, 2004, although SpywareBlaster is updated just about every week or so. As far as the Task Manager, look for sgbhp.exe and sgmain.exe. Both of those are in the Program Files\SpywareGuard folder (or whereever you installed it to) and also show up as running processes in Task Manager. In SpywareGuard, under Option/Download Protection, I have it set to Alert and Prompt for action, although I have never received any alerts from this program. As Nick suggested, you can find much more information about this program at the wilderssecurity forum. SpywareGuard runs in the background. SpywareBlaster is the one that sets the kill-bit for Active-X and does not run in the background.
I must have still been asleep when I posted the previous reply. I thought it was SpywareBlaster but oh well, it was 4:50 am.

SalukiFan pretty much posted what I would have. I like to have a clean desktop, so I don't have those icons either. I also access SpywareGuard by clicking on the SG in the system tray.

A simple and easy way to test SpywareGuard is to open the Internet Options in the control panel and change the home page. At least try to change it, because SpywareGuard will pop and warn you.