Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE6 launches msiexec for publisher

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pbjdba

pbjdba

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

Everytime I start IE 6 (sp1) or click on a link, the windows installer starts up and says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable media that is not available. Insert the Microsoft Publisher 2002 disk and click OK" (standard stuff). this is pretty annoying, to say the least. I can't seem to find how this is being called. I have tried various spyware/malware removal programs: hijackthis, aboutbuster, ad-aware, cleanup, ewido, spybotsd, spywareblaster. I am running Nortan anti-virus version 7.60, zonealarm firewall, winpatrol v9.7.4. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:50 AM

Ok do you have your Windows installation CD? IF so put it in and then click on start, then run, then type cmd and press enter. At the prompt type (or copy and paste) SFC /scannow and let it do its thing... so to speak. (make sure you put a space between SFC and /scannow)

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 pbjdba

pbjdba

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:46 PM

done with the system file checker, no messages. I do think I tried this before, but ran it again. No change after I rebooted.

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:22 AM

hmm.. ok. Have you installed Microsoft Office recently maybe?

#5 pbjdba

pbjdba

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:17 AM

No, I did not. I believe it's something linked with IE. If I boot into safe mode and launch IE, everything works as expected (no msiexec). But I don't see any BHO objects and don't know what is causing this to run.

#6 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:29 AM

Ok can you post your log for us

(in case your not familiar with that--> Ok, first, download Hijack This here and then scan but do not fix anything yet. Save your scan to a log file then click here to post your log into a new thread in the "hijack this logs and spyware/malware removal" forum.
)

#7 pbjdba

pbjdba

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

new thread created in the Hijack this logs spyware/malware forum" - per request. continued there.

#8 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:35 PM

hmm.. is that the entire log...?

#9 pbjdba

pbjdba

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:09 PM

Yes, that's the entire log. Like I mentioned earlier, I have worked on this PC and used various spyware/malware programs to "clean" it. I'm usually helping others do this too, but I can't seem to find why/how msiexec is getting executed when IE is launched or a link is clicked. any ideas?