This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

IE6 launches msiexec for publisher

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Everytime I start IE 6 (sp1) or click on a link, the windows installer starts up and says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable media that is not available. Insert the Microsoft Publisher 2002 disk and click OK" (standard stuff). this is pretty annoying, to say the least. I can't seem to find how this is being called. I have tried various spyware/malware removal programs: hijackthis, aboutbuster, ad-aware, cleanup, ewido, spybotsd, spywareblaster. I am running Nortan anti-virus version 7.60, zonealarm firewall, winpatrol v9.7.4. any help would be appreciated.
Ok do you have your Windows installation CD? IF so put it in and then click on start, then run, then type cmd and press enter. At the prompt type (or copy and paste) SFC /scannow and let it do its thing… so to speak. (make sure you put a space between SFC and /scannow)
No, I did not. I believe it's something linked with IE. If I boot into safe mode and launch IE, everything works as expected (no msiexec). But I don't see any BHO objects and don't know what is causing this to run.
Ok can you post your log for us




(in case your not familiar with that–> Ok, first, download Hijack This here and then scan but do not fix anything yet. Save your scan to a log file then click here to post your log into a new thread in the "hijack this logs and spyware/malware removal" forum.
)
Yes, that's the entire log. Like I mentioned earlier, I have worked on this PC and used various spyware/malware programs to "clean" it. I'm usually helping others do this too, but I can't seem to find why/how msiexec is getting executed when IE is launched or a link is clicked. any ideas?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI