I can't say that I'm all that computer knowledable, so forgive me if this is incoherent or sounds like a stupid question. I recently installed a remote desktop feature onto my home computer (from logmein.com), and I was wondering how it effects my computer and server at work. That is, does it take any additional bandwith on the company's server, or does it just look like I'm on a general website? Basically, if I use it, is it going to raise any flags in the IT department and is something like that something they'd be concerned about me using over their network?
Any information would be great, thanks.
remote desktop does not look like website activitly on a filter or network… basic html uses port 8000 and some others in that range. remote desktop uses (off the top of noggin) port 3389… so they would be able to see that u are using that protocol…
as for bandwidth i think u will be ok just set the settings down to dialup or whatever because it will improve performace… also remote desktop uses alot of cpu power from the remote machine so unless u got a good home compute i wouldnt recommend using it… maybe try something less intensive like VNC.
thanks
dubz
I gather your wanting to access your work computer from home..? or the other way around, your home computer at work?
It will through up a flag either way you do it. Now, the severity of which, could be on many different levels. If your wanting to access your work computer from home… more than likely.. you'll have a difficult time getting that to float with your boss. You willhave to install the client on your WORK computer..however, if you use Windows RDP then youve already got it set up and dont have to install anything on work computer (RDP = windows remote desktop). RDP is through port 3389 (HTML / Web traffic is on 80 by default by the way).
POst back and let us know which computer your wanting to remote in to so we can be of more assistance