This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Active X Prompts Driving Me Nuts

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hi, I'm very new to this forum, And unsure if I posted in the right place, & I should get used to it… Following some sound advice from many sources, I beefed up the InternetExplorer settings in regards to ActiveX. What I didn't knew was I was going to get truckloads of warning prompts of the following variety "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?" Heck, even WIndowsMediaPlayer has joined the club, giving me warnings each time I display cover art. Microsoft is really handling a mess they created in an even messier way. How exactly do I get rid of the warning prompts (I have IESpyguard that should prevent the nastier ActiveX from running, & use MozilllaFirebird 90% of the time)l
I place the sites that I trust into IE's Trusted zone. I found a tool that puts an icon for this in the toolbar but I can't remember where I got it from. The IE tools will add an option to the right click to add to the Trusted Zone.

This maybe the site and it states IE V5.0 but I am using it with IE V6.0.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/previo…ess/pwrtwks.asp

While you are at it I recommend IE-SPYAD to place many nasty sites into the Restricted Zone http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm :thumbup: It is updated about once a week so check for these every once in a while.
Trust Setter looks like what I have. I don't use the Restricted Zone button but use the Trusted Zone one a lot. I have the Internet Zone locked down tight but the Restricted Zone is even tighter. I find that IE-SPYAD's developer is way ahead of me finding sites to place in the Restricted Zone. :thumbup: If I find the site nasty then I put it in the HOSTS file so it does not even display. I feed that site to hpguru's HOSTS file. CWS especially. BTW, I'm YK in other newsgroups.