Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Active X Prompts Driving Me Nuts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Riviera

Riviera

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:57 AM

Hi, I'm very new to this forum, And unsure if I posted in the right place, & I should get used to it... Following some sound advice from many sources, I beefed up the InternetExplorer settings in regards to ActiveX. What I didn't knew was I was going to get truckloads of warning prompts of the following variety "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?" Heck, even WIndowsMediaPlayer has joined the club, giving me warnings each time I display cover art. Microsoft is really handling a mess they created in an even messier way. How exactly do I get rid of the warning prompts (I have IESpyguard that should prevent the nastier ActiveX from running, & use MozilllaFirebird 90% of the time)l

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 YoKenny

YoKenny

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:36 AM

I place the sites that I trust into IE's Trusted zone. I found a tool that puts an icon for this in the toolbar but I can't remember where I got it from. The IE tools will add an option to the right click to add to the Trusted Zone.

This maybe the site and it states IE V5.0 but I am using it with IE V6.0.
http://www.microsoft...ess/pwrtwks.asp

While you are at it I recommend IE-SPYAD to place many nasty sites into the Restricted Zone http://www.staff.uiu...es/resource.htm :thumbup: It is updated about once a week so check for these every once in a while.
I rcommend installing IE-SPYAD and SpywareBlaster and keeping them up to date weekly.
SpyBot Search and Destroy

WinXP Home user
Posted Image member

#3 discogail

discogail

-

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:40 PM

Riviera.....this is you...I believe?

Over here

#4 discogail

discogail

-

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 04:47 PM

Is this what you're referring to..YoKenny? Trust Setter.?....I used it on my old comp...gonna install on the new one too.

http://www.jasons-to...fault.asp?id=11

#5 YoKenny

YoKenny

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:24 PM

Trust Setter looks like what I have. I don't use the Restricted Zone button but use the Trusted Zone one a lot. I have the Internet Zone locked down tight but the Restricted Zone is even tighter. I find that IE-SPYAD's developer is way ahead of me finding sites to place in the Restricted Zone. :thumbup: If I find the site nasty then I put it in the HOSTS file so it does not even display. I feed that site to hpguru's HOSTS file. CWS especially. BTW, I'm YK in other newsgroups.

Edited by YoKenny, 02 November 2003 - 09:26 PM.

I rcommend installing IE-SPYAD and SpywareBlaster and keeping them up to date weekly.
SpyBot Search and Destroy

WinXP Home user
Posted Image member

#6 discogail

discogail

-

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:37 PM

I know.........I was gonna come back & edit and call you YK,,,but got lazy.