Running Windows ME on Pentium III, 384Mb Ram, 64Mb graphics card. Kids play WOW online. I've deleted all unnecessary files and removed programs we are no longer using. I use Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, and AdAware. McAfee virus scan finds a PUP at C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\FS2968.CAB but is unable to either quarantine it or remove. I can't find it with a search.
The mouse/computer freezes every few minutes for several seconds. I can't run ScanDisk or Disk defragmenter because it says some program is writing to the drive. I'm at a loss. Have posted a Hijack This log but have not gotten a response so I assume that it looks okay.
Really appreciate any help anyone can give.
Thanks!
How many icons are in your system tray (were your clock is)..?
Click on Start/ then Run/ then type msconfig. Under the startup tab, uncheck everything except "Scanregistry"…"systray" … "statemgr" (and/or "pchealth" if present)…and "taskmon". Click to "apply".. then click "ok" and reboot. When your desktop appears you will get a popup saying "Your using Windows system configuration utility..etc..etc" Place a check mark in the "do not show this again" box at the bottom at of that pop up and click ok.. post back if you have anyother problems.
(also remember that your not deleting, uninstalling or removing anything in anyway, simply preventing it from starting with windows. If theres something not there you want back, simply go back and place a check mark beside it and reboot)
It, unfortunatelty, will re-apply itself and will be checked to startup the next time you go look at it. But you can leave it if you like.. remember that your not deleting, uninstalling anything. Simply keeping it from starting with Windows
HS - Downloaded Panda ActiveScan but scanning for viruses takes a very long time (computer has lots of programs and files) so I will do it later and let you know what it finds. THANKS!
Crow - I kept Spyware Guard in addition to the applications you listed. I then enabled the McAfee firewall after rebooting. It certainly loaded up really fast. I'll use it awhile and see if the freezing has stopped. Thanks for your help!!!