This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

NTVDM CPU

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi All, I have had two users on my network tell me today that they have started getting a message that the NTVDM CPU has encountered an invalid instruction. I saw one of them and the user wrote down another one she had before. It seems to always be a different .exe file that it happens to. We do run program that contain old dos bits and dose need the VDM but this error has just started popping up. I don't like the fact that it has happend to two people at once on the same day. I ran ad-aware se on one of the computers and found a few things but nothing very alarming. That machine I checked had some strange file names indicated in the error like 15432.exe or some bunch of numbers and ther was a task running that started with the ~ something like ~3E.exe. Is there any know issues concerning this error or is it a conincednce that I have two at once? I got a lot of hits when looking for information but nothing really helped as far as why it is happening or how to stop it. The computers I am talking about are running Windows XP pro with service pack 1. Thanks, Rob
ugh.. bad as hate to recommend this you prolly should update them to SP2 but before we go that drastic… Go here to download Hijack This. Then scan but do not fix anything yet. Save the scan to a log and then copy and paste the results of scan into a new thread in the Hijack This and Spyware removal forum. Might want to do this on both comp's in question
well it could be any of numerous things, to me..it looks like a remnant of something past removed but hijack this will tell us what we need to know.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI