jrevans
Topic Starter
I just got hit by some nasty spyware/malware/adware via my Java plugin. I went to this link hxxp://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=627 with MSIE 6.0 and Java plugin 1.4.0 (Win98SE). There's usually an annoying Java pop-up ad window but this time is quickly started installing all kinds of crap to my machine. I saw items popping up on the desktop, so I quickly unplugged my router.
link disabled - Daemon
There was a batch file on my desktop that had this:
I deleted what I could, after killing processes that were already running. Something called "bargains" was running, but I forget the other process name.
Looking at my Java cache, it appears that this stuff came from cache.unicast.com and/or xlonhcld.xlontech.net.
It's been a while since I ran Spybot Search & Destroy, so I downloaded S&D and it seemed to catch most of the stuff that I noticed. It removed the Lycos search bar that was installed, and deleted the bargains stuff. But, there may still be some odd stuff that is didn't get. Searching myself, I see the following files on my computer, which I don't like the looks of:
I downloaded HiJackThis and it shows some of the above items referenced, and some other ones that don't exist (that I already disabled from Spyware S&D). Here is my scan from HiJackThis: (The entries that I'm concerned about are in red.)
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 6:37:48 AM, on 3/28/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\ADOBE\ACROBAT\DISTILLR\ACROTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PALM\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
D:\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\windows\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000EF1-0786-4633-87C6-1AA7A44296DA} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {000020DD-C72E-4113-AF77-DD56626C6C42} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B549456D-F5D0-4641-BCED-8648A0C13D83} - C:\WINDOWS\BrowserHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0019C3E2-DD48-4A6D-ABCD-8D32436323D9} - C:\WINDOWS\BXXS5.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\windows\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EAPCISetup] C:\AUDIOPCI\sbsetup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CXMon] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bxxs5] RunDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\BXXS5.DLL,DllRun
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakLogon
O4 - Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Adobe\Acrobat\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Startup: MORZE5.lnk.disabled
O4 - Startup: PDHAEXAI.lnk.disabled
O4 - Global Startup: PDHAEXAI.lnk.disabled
O4 - Global Startup: MORZE5.lnk.disabled
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…director/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: {33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} - http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/6…922/wmv9VCM.CAB
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…8033.8463773148
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 192.168.1.1
Shall I just blast away the items that I think are bad, along with the three files that I mentioned above? I'm also unsure about the plugin for .spop. What's that for? Is there anything else that I missed?
JimE
link disabled - Daemon
There was a batch file on my desktop that had this:
c:\WINDOWSstatuslog ftp -s:o Then there were a bunch of copy commands to install: calsdr.exe CS4P028.exe atiupdate5.exe 0021-bd194126.exe bs5-nt15v.exe
I deleted what I could, after killing processes that were already running. Something called "bargains" was running, but I forget the other process name.
Looking at my Java cache, it appears that this stuff came from cache.unicast.com and/or xlonhcld.xlontech.net.
It's been a while since I ran Spybot Search & Destroy, so I downloaded S&D and it seemed to catch most of the stuff that I noticed. It removed the Lycos search bar that was installed, and deleted the bargains stuff. But, there may still be some odd stuff that is didn't get. Searching myself, I see the following files on my computer, which I don't like the looks of:
c:\windows\pdhaexai.exe c:\windows\system\endmails.exe c:\windows\bxxs5.dll
I downloaded HiJackThis and it shows some of the above items referenced, and some other ones that don't exist (that I already disabled from Spyware S&D). Here is my scan from HiJackThis: (The entries that I'm concerned about are in red.)
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 6:37:48 AM, on 3/28/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\ADOBE\ACROBAT\DISTILLR\ACROTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PALM\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
D:\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\windows\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000EF1-0786-4633-87C6-1AA7A44296DA} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {000020DD-C72E-4113-AF77-DD56626C6C42} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B549456D-F5D0-4641-BCED-8648A0C13D83} - C:\WINDOWS\BrowserHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0019C3E2-DD48-4A6D-ABCD-8D32436323D9} - C:\WINDOWS\BXXS5.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\windows\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EAPCISetup] C:\AUDIOPCI\sbsetup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CXMon] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bxxs5] RunDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\BXXS5.DLL,DllRun
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakLogon
O4 - Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Adobe\Acrobat\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Startup: MORZE5.lnk.disabled
O4 - Startup: PDHAEXAI.lnk.disabled
O4 - Global Startup: PDHAEXAI.lnk.disabled
O4 - Global Startup: MORZE5.lnk.disabled
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…director/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: {33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} - http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/6…922/wmv9VCM.CAB
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…8033.8463773148
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 192.168.1.1
Shall I just blast away the items that I think are bad, along with the three files that I mentioned above? I'm also unsure about the plugin for .spop. What's that for? Is there anything else that I missed?
JimE