This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Trouble with MS office 2000

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello! Thanks for this informative sight. I'm new at all this. I have a Dell Inspiron 8100. Its kinda' old '01. Specs are: New Mobo, 1.3 Ghz Proces. 256 Ram Xp Home (I think I'm up to date of SPacks) I'm having a weird problem with my MS Office 2000 Pro programs. In particular with Excel & Word since I use them the most. When I open either of them for the 1st time an Install window pops up. I think it say "wait while configure". Its like its installing the program for the first time. There is a progress bar in the window and everything. It takes about 20 seconds or more for the excel file to finish opening. I used to have "Office" on a different computer and it would open nearly instantly. I could see if this happens when I 1st open the program, however it acts exactly the same way each time I open a Excel or Word document whether I have 1 or more files already open in that program. I hope I did this right. Thanks for the help! Yorocco32 ===============
Do you have a corrupt Normal.dot file? One of the poor word features that I don't like especially when it goes wrong is the normal.dot file. You may have a bad or corrupt file. Try this

1. Run the detect and repair option under the help menu

2. Search your hard drive for any normal.dot or ~normal.dot files and delete them

3. Search Microsoft's Knowledge Base with such key words as "Office slow" etc

By the way do you have virus detection? virus detection can really cause Word and Excel to load slowly.

Also does Winword also load slowly? This can give you some clues.

It could also be a Windows or a hardware issue. Here is a link to a number of Windows articles that may be of help:

http://www.findingfacts.com/L2/L2_1_5.php

Good luck

Do you have a corrupt Normal.dot file? One of the poor word features that I don't like especially when it goes wrong is the normal.dot file. You may have a bad or corrupt file. Try this

1. Run the detect and repair option under the help menu

2. Search your hard drive for any normal.dot or ~normal.dot files and delete them

3. Search Microsoft's Knowledge Base with such key words as "Office slow" etc

By the way do you have virus detection? virus detection can really cause Word and Excel to load slowly.

Also does Winword also load slowly? This can give you some clues.

It could also be a Windows or a hardware issue. Here is a link to a number of Windows articles that may be of help:

http://www.findingfacts.com/L2/L2_1_5.php

Good luck

209482


=======================================
Thanks for your help! I did all the thing you said and it still doesn't work right.
1) I ran the "detect and repair option under the help menu"
2) I searched for "normal.dot & ~normal.dot". I didn't have any.
3) I searched the "knowledge base" with no luck.
4) I do run Trend Micro as anti virus.
5) Yes Ms Word acts the same as Excel when its opening.

I rebooted in safe mode just to see what would happen. Excel opened perfectly
that why. Thought you might have some ideas.
Thanks!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI