This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

SOFTWARE DELAY TO LOAD

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

HI

I was over at the Malware Forum where Jeff always takes excellent care of me there! Jeff advised me to come to this forum and see if yenz guys can help me with my "other" problem. He also suggested that you can view what steps he had me go thru by looking over there and see each step we did, as well as the logs I posted after each scan.

I've had this "other" problem for many months now.

I needed to bring up excel to update a file, so I click on START, then click on Excel and it just hangs there….nothing blinks..nothing moves. so, like always I figure I just didn't click enough to get it to load…so I click again….nothing..I click a total of 3 times, and after 1 minute or a bit longer, 3 excel's pop up….GRRR!!!!

This same problem exists when I want to bring up ANY software, FireFox, BaseCamp,even the windows explorer folder. After I click a few times, thinking I must not of clicked enough to get it to load. Sometimes I wait longer than one minute, maybe up to 3, them POOF! I get many instances of that program. As many times as I click, I get that many of the same program.

does something need tweeked? I need help in this area.

So what causes this??

Dar

Edit: Add link to malware thread: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…=126979&hl= – Z
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.), record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.
hi there are times that I can click on programs and it works like magic! other times, it behaves badly by not responding for a few minutes. It's about 50/50 that this occurs - this could vary. I've tried rebooting, and that doesn't "fix" it. There in lies the puzzle. It's not every time…. so you recommend I start with SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING….I'll give it a shot. but at 6pm today - programs come up instantly… it knows you are going to watch. dar
well, I rebooted in safe mode with networking….things come up as normal….but Excel can't find register..odd - I've had it for 3 yrs. dar
I've rebooted and I have some screen shots of what is in there for you. You want me to disable all? Even "Microsoft Windows Operating System" - this one concerns me to disable….. C:\Program Files\ Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autorun Please advise before I proceed…. dar :huh:
Yes, please follow the instructions. You are not deleting or removing anything, just preventing it from starting when you boot. From what you said, one of them is causing the problem. This is the way to figure out which one.
HI I followed the first set of instructions with no change. sometimes programs will load when clicked on, other times, there is wait. I have proceeded to the disable all services section now…..will let you know what happens. dar
Hi I did what you said about services, disabled them all then rebooted. I got a blue screen twice saying there was a problem…..it went by so quick, I could not read the entire length of the screen. I rebooted twice, the last time took forever to boot. I ran msconfig and put it all back the way it was. I was not comfortable with the blue screen. there must be another way. dar
Look in your Event Logs for errors with a source of "disk" Click Start -> type 'eventvwr' and click on eventvwr.exe. Expand "Windows Logs" and click on "system" You are now viewing the system log. Scroll through the events over the last day or so and look for red errors with a source of "disk." If you find one, double click the event and more information will pop-up. Click the "Copy" button and paste the contents here. If you find different events with the source of "disk", copy and paste a few here for us to look at.
ok - here is one: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 9/29/2013 9:24:37 AM Event ID: 11 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DARLENES-PC Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. Event Xml: 11 2 0 0x80000000000000 709271 System DARLENES-PC \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 0F00800001000000000000000B0004C0030100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0001EE8000000000000FFFFFFFF060000005800001022000000FF2006120801301000000000780000 000000000000000000407C860680FAFFFF0000000000000000108C870680FAFFFF000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000
Is that the only Source: Disk error or are there more?

What is the model number (complete please) of your Gateway laptop? Some Google searches show other people with Source: Disk errors often fix them buy updating AHCI and/or Chipset drivers. Will see what I can find once I have the model number.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI