This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Svchost Running 8 Times

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hi there, When I look at my task manager I see svchost.exe is there 8 times. User Name = SYSTEM - 6 times User Name = NETWORK SERVICE - 1 time User Name = LOCAL SERVICE = 1 time The question I have is can I remove some of them for the startup process? Here's a patial dump of the scan from Hijackthis (I've allso attached the complete file). Note that it's loaded from C:\WINDOWS\system32\ 3 times and from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ 3 times; StartupList report, 3/27/2004, 6:55:00 AM StartupList version: 1.52 Started from : E:\Downloads\Utilities\hijackthis\HijackThis.EXE Detected: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600) Detected: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) * Using default options * Including empty and uninteresting sections * Showing rarely important sections ================================================== Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\svchost.exe c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\SysMgmt.exe c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\VetMsgNT.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\Fast.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\COMPUT~1\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\fast.exe C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe C:\Program Files\Soft4Ever\looknstop\looknstop.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTHELPER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\Grxp4exe.exe C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe E:\Downloads\Utilities\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe ————————————————–
This svchost is valid and it is normal for there to be more than one instance of it: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe The other ones, I'm not sure of, but svchost is not a startup process. It is called by other services in Windows, so if you see it as a start up, then you have a problem. Would be wise to post a hijack log (not the start up list) to get a check up.